001

It begins when Jesse McCree feels a stabbing pain in his left arm.

He pays no mind to it at first. He continues his daily activities with ease and barely notices it. That is, until he collapses in the briefing room.

"Shit!"

Jesse falls out of his chair and lands hard on the ground. His metal arm clenches his flesh one as he cries out in pain.

"Jesse!" Hanzo cries while running to his side in a panic. "What is wrong?" Jesse can only groan in pain as he lets Hanzo roll up his sleeve to check his arm. The agents around him mummer in worry and Jesse hears someone call for Angela.

Hanzo lets out a strangled gasp as he looks at Jesse's arm. A newly formed tattoo just like Hanzo's paints his arm red.

"Jesse-"

Jesse lets out a scream as Hanzo shouts things that don't reach his ears. "Que el-" The words roll off of his tongue easily as if they had been spoken many times before. "Que el dragón consuma a mis enemigos!"

A red glow emits from Jesse's body and he hears the roar of a dragon as he welcomes the darkness that consumes him.

~•~

"Jesse?"

Jesse can you hear me?"

"McCree!"

Jesse's eyes snapped open and he was greeted by a blinding light above him. He squints his eyes and he hears someone start crying.

"Han-zo?" He croaks and the crying turns into sobbing. Tears run down Hanzo's face and he is holding Jesse in his arms. "'M sorry." Hanzo shakes his head violently before hanging his head and pressing it against Jesse's chest.

Jesse finally notices Angela kneeling down next to him picking through her medical supplies. She gives him a small worried smile before standing up and saying something Jesse couldn't hear to Winston.

"W-what happened?" He says and Hanzo only holds him tighter. Genji looks away quickly when they meet eyes and it only adds to his confusion. The other agents look just as confused as him and he sighs silently.

~•~

The question goes unanswered for days and Hanzo never leaves his side. The others just watch with pity in their eyes as Jesse pleads with Hanzo.

"Han, sweetpea, darlin' please tell me what happened?" Jesse asks when they're in bed one night. He can feel Hanzo's breath on his neck as he sighs softly.

"The dragons," Hanzo starts sleepily. "They chose you. I-I do not know why but they..." He trails off. "I am sorry."

Jesse knew there was something else that Hanzo was keeping from him but he didn't dwell on the subject. "I love you Hanzo." A strained sob escapes Hanzo's throat and Jesse holds him tightly in his arms.

~•~

"Agent McCree, status."

The mission was supposed to be easy: take out a few Talon agents and retrieve a dumbass flash drive. But when did things ever work out for Overwatch?

"Nothin' so far- wait a sec'" Jesse looks into the alleyway to see a familiar figure stalking towards him. Jesse's breath catches in his throat and he feels something crawling underneath his skin. "Shit, shit, shit, shit-"

"The Reaper is here! I repeat, The Reaper is-"

Bullets just barely miss Jesse's head as he tumbles out of the way, running to cover. He feels something stir within him as he starts shooting at the decaying figure.

Jesse eventually finds himself in the corner of an alley as The Reaper advances on him.

"Adios, mijo."

Blood drips onto the concrete but it's not his own. Jesse's slowly looks up from his position on the ground and sees red.

For some reason, Jesse McCree starts to cry.

He doesn't know why, at first. Until he sees Hanzo Shimada fall to the ground in pain.

Jesse McCree starts to scream.

Red and blue cloud his vision as he hears someone come running to his side. A hand touches his shoulder as he cries.

He can't stop screaming.

~•~