Mute in high school

Chapter 1: Muted

School was the vein of my existence. The teens an the teachers so much alike. This will be my third school so far this year and it is only the second quarter. My paper work was already filled and into the system last wednesday and today was my first day.

I already had a schedule and printed a out a map at home. I would not be needing any help from anyone. My parents have already informed the school about my lack of communication. Hopefully the school has already informed the teachers of the junior class.

New school, new town, no friends. This town of small St. Cloud and the equally small school, St. Cloud High School, home of the bulldogs. My father had dropped me off this morning, giving me a small smile and a 'good luck.' I closed the car door and took a deep breath. I walked onto the sidewalk and past the gates that reminded me so much like prison bars.

Luckily, not a single person glanced my way. I pulled out my phone and peeked down at the time. It was 7:06, meaning class started in about four minutes. I put my phone away and pulled out my binder glancing at my class schedule.

First period was Theatre three honors, and i let out an internal groan. Sure, if you could get a dog to dance, then you can surly get a muted girl to act. I followed my map around the building looking down and avoiding peoples eyes.

When i reached the class i opened a glass door from the outside and then another, entering a class full of people, all chatting happily amongst themselves. I glanced around the room, to find an older faced lady, possibly in her early forties.

She had thick black rounded glasses framing her eyes, and shoulder length grey-red hair framing her face. She glanced up from from her desk and smiled at me. I made eye contact with the floor an walked up to her desk.

"Good morning. Why are you here?" She asked as i handed her the paper with my schedule on it. I glanced at her face in time to see her reaction.

The the very bottom of the paper there was a little note there that my mother had scribbled down, explaining my speaking deficiency. She glanced at me again and smiled.

"You can sit anywhere you would like. You can just observe for today." She ended with a soft knowing smile.

I nodded and quickly turned towards the back corner of the room, far away from the other students. For the whole class people continuously glanced back at me and i would return my eyes to my binder.

Continuing with my small doodles that ran along the page. My next few classes continued on the same way. I would show the teacher my schedule and they would read the note from my mother. Luckily the teachers were nice enough to send me to the back corners of the room.

I had the occasional wave and greeting from random people that i was sure were just completely curious and wanted to find a reason to bully me. I just nodded in their direction and continued with the doodles on my paper.

By lunch time came around i was not the happiest camper. The only reason why i did not like new schools was the fact that i had to scope out an area before my fist class to know a place where i could eat my lunch in peace. Because i was late today i had no extra time to search for a place. It was the first day so i had brought a lunch from home.

I walked out of the class and scoped the outside area quickly and found some stairs behind one of the buildings. The spot was quiet and secluded. Smiling to myself, i made my way to the stairs.

I walked up the second flight of stairs and sat down on the steps. I looked around and ate my food slowly. So far today, I was not asked any questions or even talked to. This school made it very easy for me to embarrass myself. My classes so far were mostly easy, and the work was not hard. I could work well here. Possibly even fit in.