Chapter 29

I held my breath until I was sure Peter had walked away. But for all I know, Peter could also have his head pressed against the door of vines, listening for any noise whatsoever.

My mind was racing for an excuse to say to Peter if he was still outside as I cautiously opened the door. Relief washed over me when I saw that no-one was standing there.

I opened the door wider and slowly scanned the scenery in front of me. It was quiet. The mood was dim; the sun going down. Sighing with relief, I jogged off.

I successfully managed to trace my way back to Felix's spot. I looked around the area, scanning the ground.

"Felix. Felix!" I called out in whispers. I stumbled my way down the hill to check behind the tree. I frowned and groaned softly in frustration as there was no avail. I leaned my hand on the tree to give myself time to think.

"Shouldn't you be inside?"

A voice made me gasp and jump. I turned around to see his face.

"Felix! I was just looking for you!" I stepped towards him. He looked at me with empty eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked. He shook his head.

"We shouldn't be doing this. Not behind his back, he'll find out and do you know what will happen to me? To you?" he spoke, his voice full of authority. I shook my head.

"We can't think about that. Look, we don't have much time. You know what you need to do" I told him, placing my hands on my hips. He lowered his gaze to the ground.

"Tell me what's going on around here" I stayed firm.

He looked conflicted. He looked back up at me with a pained expression on his face. I tried to fight the feeling of compassion and sorrow, considering I was forcing him into this. Yet, I deserve to know.

"Well, where were we?" he asked. I thought for a couple of seconds.

"Ripping out shadows, children of Neverland, new additions.." I reminded him. He nodded, it all coming back to him now.

"Felix am I going to die?" I asked, my voice small and tragic.

My heart dropped to my stomach when Felix merely nodded once. I let out a trembling sigh as I leaned my body onto the tree, sliding down.

"Listen to me. Dying in Neverland is really complex. You're still here but you're not. Would you like me to tell you-"

"How. How does he do this? Why?" I looked up at him, desperate for information.

"He doesn't want anyone to leave. He was so distraught by the death of Wendy that he decided that anyone who entered Neverland would never leave again. He knew that people would want out or felt like they had to leave, just like Wendy. He's afraid of neglect. He figures that it would be better off for him to lure people in. He's not entirely heartless-"

"He's going to kill me!" I snapped. Felix considered this yet continued.

"He gives you a week. One week in Neverland before he rips your shadow out and you stay here, forever. He wants your trust before he takes your life. However, I think there's something inside of him that feels something when you're involved"

I looked up at him, puzzled. "What? Am I the new Wendy?"

"Quite possibly"

Sorry I never update but I wanted to thank you all for 10k reads! That is amazing!
Please rate and comment as it means the world to me.
Thanks again!