Chapter 27

Cheyenne awoke, rubbed her eyes and realized she had fallen asleep on the couch. Not only that, but she had fallen asleep with Michael beside her. His arm was around her waist and had pulled her closer to him. She didn't move because she didn't want to wake him. It all felt like a bad dream. Yet, she knew it wasn't. She was terrified. Not for herself so much as for her sister. What was this person going to do next? Somehow she had to protect her sister.

Michael stirred and pulled her closer-if that was even possible. She realized he was awake when he kissed the back of her neck. Although, not happy about what had transpired, she was glad that they were together.

"Hey," he whispered. "You okay?"

"I think so."

"Are you hungry?"

"I don't think I could eat anything right now without vomiting."

"You should try anyway." He kissed her neck again. "Do it for me. If not for me, for your sister."

She carelessly shrugged. "I'll try."

"Why don't you let me up and I'll fix us something." They sat up and stretched. He stood then turned and bent down to kiss her. "I'll be right back."

She nodded as he walked away. When he was out of sight, she let the tears run down her cheeks. Her heart was breaking into a million pieces. Life was never going to be the same for her again. She pushed herself up from the couch and dragged herself upstairs to the bedroom. Her cell phone rang. She answered.

"Hello?"

"Oh my goodness!" Raina blurted. "I'm so sorry, Chey. Detective Lawrence came by last night and now we've got two police officers here at our door. They've been here all night. Once I found out what happened, I tried calling you numerous times, but you never answered. I've been so worried. Please tell me you're all right."

"Rain, I'm fine, but worried about you. Are you okay?"

"Scared, but okay. What happened to Gaby?"

Cheyenne attempted to try to hold back her tears as she revealed the details to Raina. She cried uncontrollably. "I miss her, Rain. She didn't deserve this. Gaby was a good person."

Raina was crying. "I know she was. The police will find out who's doing this."

"Whoever did this has to pay." Cheyenne wiped the tears away with the back of her hand. "I think Michael is going to take the case."

"Really?"

"He used to be a prosecutor. He's actually pretty upset, too."

"I should've come over last night. I should've been there for you."

"It's probably best if you and I stay away from each other for a while." Cheyenne took a deep breath and let it out. "It'll be much, much safer."

"I don't like that idea."

"We don't have a choice. It's only temporary. Not forever."

Raina sighed. "I don't know how long I can take it, but I'll only agree as long as it's only temporary."

"You have my word."

"For the record, I don't like this plan, Cheyenne, but I'll go along with it."

"I don't either, but thanks. I love you, Rain."

"I love you, too. More than you could ever know."

"I know more than you think I do. Look, I've got to go. Michael is fixing breakfast."

"Okay. Bye."

Cheyenne hung up, plopped down on the bed, buried her face in her hands and cried into them. What was she going to do?

~

She shuffled her way down the stairs and met Michael coming up. "What a coincidence. I was just coming for you."

With a half-smile, Cheyenne said, "Here I am."

They quietly walked side-by-side to the kitchen. As they entered the kitchen, Cheyenne felt her legs give out. She collapsed and Michael was there to catch her and helped her to one of the stools.

"I don't think I can eat," she whispered. "I feel faint..." She passed out.

~

Cheyenne awoke and rubbed her eyes. She blinked and tried to regain her vision. When she did, Michael was standing over her.

"Well hello, gorgeous. How are you feeling?"

"Emotionally or physically?"

"First, how's your head? Do you feel like fainting again?"

She sat up and her head felt like it was spinning. "A little dizzy, but I don't think so."

"Why don't you lie down a little longer? I'm afraid you'll pass out again. Relax a little bit." He pushed her back down on the couch and kissed the top of her head. "Would you like something to eat or drink?"

"Some water would be nice." She gazed up at Michael. "Can I admit something?"

He bent over and stroked her hair. "Of course."

"Despite the terrible circumstances, it was nice to wake up with you this morning."

"Yes it was." He kissed her. "It sure was." They stared into each other's eyes for a moment as he stroked her hair. "I'd better go get your water. Be right back."

"Okay."

Cheyenne began thinking about Gaby again. She had been so excited about meeting someone new. Gaby had been so happy. They've always been together, talked about everything. Nothing would ever be the same again. Oh how she missed her already. Her only hope now was that her sister and her family wouldn't wind up the same way. They were all she had left.

~

Cheyenne and Michael didn't do anything the entire day, but lay on the couch and hold each other. Occasionally she cried on his shoulder in grief or in sheer terror. Her life was coming together and falling apart at the same time. More like falling apart, though. The comfort of Michael's arms wasn't going to be enough to calm her fears.