Games

As the wave of people spread out along the field, leaving me behind in their wake, I felt air pass through my lungs with far more ease than it had when surrounded by the four women and their gambling habit

As the wave of people spread out along the field, leaving me behind in their wake, I felt air pass through my lungs with far more ease than it had when surrounded by the four women and their gambling habit. I took a few deep breaths in and out, my smile returning as the noise of the picnic became a distant hum and the gurgle of the river soothed my fraying nerves.

"You all right? I can still take you home if you want."

Wes's soft, warm voice didn't spring on me like Lucy's cheery welcome or Betty's abrupt grab of my shoulder. Instead, it weaved its way through the rasp of the leaves rustling in the breeze and the chirp of robins building their nests.

"I'm just appreciating the quiet," I answered with my eyes closed and my face turned to the sun.

"Can't appreciate it for long. We have to get to the potato sack race and for once my team may a have a chance with someone so short. Being tall is not an advantage when you have to hold up a sack that only goes as far as your knees."

"I just... Sure, okay, let's go."

I sighed and gazed out at the field. The first set of racers had already stepped into their bags and were awaiting the toot of an air horn before hopping towards the finish line. With a shake of my shoulders and a rise of my chin, I set out to the sidelines.

"Feeling overwhelmed now?" His question came from behind me and I looked over my shoulder to find him still planted where I left him.

"A bit," I answered truthfully, "but I'm grateful I'm paired up with you. It will make the rest of the afternoon easier."

"Oh?" he asked, a sly smile curling his lips. "I'm a safe place, am I?" Now he moved towards the races, while I found my feet suddenly heavier.

"Well, I mean, I know you. It's just easier being with someone I know."

"Do you know me, though?" His voice was playful, despite the accusation. "We've only talked twice before today."

"Yes, that's true, but sometimes you just know that someone is okay. That they're someone you can trust. Someone you can rely on to take care of you."

My words were honest. For me, there were people I could tell from the start that they were someone I could consider safe. Someone who wouldn't impose on me or expect too much from me. Someone I could idle away with on the sidelines, instead of immersing myself in the thick of things. To me, there wasn't any intimate feeling applied to it. It simply was. Yet, my words caused Wes to hesitate, his smile faltering slightly.

"You feel that way about me?"

"I..."

I paused, trying to read his face, but finding the bend of his brow contradicting the bow of his lips. I didn't know what flustered him about my words, but with the way he looked over me, a blush rose to my cheeks and I felt a sudden need to defend myself.