5. The Show Must Go On

"Trips like this are normally pretty lonely," sighed Lexa, taking her eyes off the road for a few seconds to shoot Clarke a friendly smile. They were seated in the Outback, Lexa driving and Clarke riding shotgun, and they'd been on the road for about half an hour. "It's nice to have someone to talk to for a change."

The winding country road along which they were travelling was dark and devoid of all other signs of life. Considering the time, it made sense. The convoy had left just before sunset: a montage of cars, caravans, Kane's RV, and a single 18-wheeler containing the tents, props, and animals, driven by Lincoln. GPS courses were set for their proposed new residence in Arkadia, a small town in Texas. Lexa wasn't exactly fond of driving on the interstates, so she and Clarke were taking a slightly more scenic route.

Kane had explained that they travelled through the night for many reasons: less traffic, less chance of Clarke (or any other fugitives and/or runaways) being spotted, and the animals generally slept through the journey. Aside from Polaris the lion, Octavia had two horses, and Monty and Jasper's act featured a sea lion named Gerald.

"I can see why you'd feel lonely," replied Clarke, turning the car radio down slightly. Lexa had it tuned to what seemed to be an Australian rock station, which Clarke found relaxing if a little distorted by the static of being so isolated. "How come you travel alone then?" she asked.

"No choice, really." Lexa shrugged. "The others are all pretty much paired off, and as you can see I don't exactly have room for three in here."

Clarke laughed. "Yeah, I noticed that. What about Ontari? She doesn't exactly seem like the kind to be joined at the hip to anyone here."

Lexa grimaced. "In some cases, I think loneliness is the better option. I don't trust that girl."

"Neither," agreed Clarke. "Also, by 'paired off', do you mean, like, always romantically? Like, are Monty and Jasper...?"

Lexa laughed so hard that her hands slipped on the wheel and the car swerved - it was probably for the best that they were avoiding the interstate. "God, those two? Pretty sure they're just your typical straight best mates - but honestly I don't blame you for wondering. They definitely seem to give off some homoerotic vibes sometimes, but what can you expect? They're clowns, they're jokers. They joined up for a laugh in their gap year and never left. That's just their kind of humour."

Clarke nodded in understanding. "It's not the best that they treat it as a joke, yeah, but I suppose it's better than being outwardly homophobic?"

"Hm, true," Lexa admitted. "Even if it is more than just a joke, I can understand why they'd be playing it off as one. Some of the things Ontari's said... I wouldn't feel safe being out here either."

"Oh my god, that's terrible!" said Clarke. "What kind of stuff did she say?"

"Just shit about the fact that 'those people' shouldn't be able to get married, have children, all that."

"Wow, that sucks. Do you think she realises how much she's hurting you?"

"No," said Lexa coldly. "If she did, then she'd say things a lot worse." Then she realised something. "But hang on - how did you know I was -"

"The book," admitted Clarke, a sheepish smile creeping across her face.

"The book?" queried Lexa, eyebrows raised.

"I don't think any straight girl in history has ever read The Price of Salt, Lexa."

"Jeez, you're a regular Sherlock Holmes, aren't you?"

Clarke grinned.

Lexa thought for a moment. "And you wouldn't know that unless...you've read it too, haven't you?"