T.H.U.G.S

Chicago 1985

Marlon James Jiggs was born on a hot summer, he wasn’t a big baby but he was a suitable size. You could hear the gun shots ringing in the middle of the day! But I challenge you a question,...if you were barely 3 minutes old and you were already born to a world full of gangs and drugs…what would you believe to be your fate.

Later That Night

My mom worries and cries, because she knows that we are in for a long one. My supposed dad is nowhere to be found in this city. I cry, only being a day old, lost and confused, small and lonely. My mom begs helplessly as she pleads my despiteful dad into coming home and being a family. But him being young and stupid he declines the pleads from my desperate mother.

1995

Being 10 years old on the streets wasn’t easy, it was a eat or be eaten mentality you have to have or you wouldn't last 2 seconds on the streets. My crew was already thuggin at 10 years old, we stole everything you could think of watches, chains, bikes, money, candy, anything we wanted. I remember this little bitch named Juice on the streets, he said one day “Aye bitch I hope you get your crew prepared little nigga cause we pop yo ass before you can say yo lost daddy's name.” You know being me I got in his face like whats up nigga. Any ways later night me and my crew were walking the corner then we heard “Bang!” Bang!”, I ran faster than a roaches ass. Stupid Carlos just froze, then we heard another “Bang!” and a scream and the somewhat of a thump. I turned around and saw Carlos breathing hard on the ground. Me and my crew must’ve been thinking the same thing, we don’t back down for shit. I grabbed my piece and we started bustin shots at any moving thing we saw. Me and my other homie grabbed Carlos and SPRINTED away.

Later That Night

My brother took Carlos to the hospital, I have to admit I was scared as shit. We got home and my mom was looking at the news, she said “Look honey that happened just around the corner.” I caught my breath… the reporter said two dead three injured in the shootout and they showed a picture of Juice and his best friend.