Fire

The moment I had stepped outside the school doors, the whole world seemed to go in slow motion. The bushes glowing with a violent fire, ashes slowly falling to the ground as people fled in the opposite direction.

I had stopped right outside the school door with my jaw dropped open. I snapped myself out of it and ran inside the school building and yanked down on the fire alarm. Within milliseconds, the piercing cry of the fire alarm filled the panicked school halls. The students fled from the halls and ran far away from the fire, which made the teachers freak out even more.

My brain told me to run, run as far away as I could from the evil flames. But my instincts told me otherwise.

Lauren followed my lead, but instead of helping physically, she helped guide people out of the building to safety.

"DON'T RUN, YOU WILL TRIP AND BE LEFT BEHIND! REMAIN CALM AND EXIT THE BUILDING!", Lauren's voice conquered all of the others in the hall, and the children slowed down to a fast walk out of the building with nervous looks on their faces.

I on the other hand, dashed across the hall towards the fire extinguisher. Ohhhhhh yes. I picked up the glass breaker thing and smashed it into the glass, shattering it into pieces and revealing the extinguisher which I picked up and quickly read the instructions. Frankly, I had no idea how to use that thing so spending the few seconds to learn how was definitely a necessity.

(Cue heroic music)

I sprinted outside and got within 5 feet of the fire. A wave of heat whipped me in the face, making sweat bead up on my forehead. I aimed at the base of the fire, in the bush, and fired! The white foamy solution bursted out of the can, slowly eating up the fire. The can was so pressurized and full, that when it first came out I stumbled back. Eventually the fire became smaller, smaller, until it was a puny flame which I could stomp out with my boot.

A few people hadn't ran away and had stopped by the stairs, staring at me in hopes that I would be the one to destroy the flames. It remained silent for only a few seconds before they all started cheering a chanting my name.

"Eva! Eva! Eva!", the children and teachers chanted.

Of course I felt happy that my noble actions were recognized, but I still felt very shocked and not like my normal self.