6. She-devil

"Did someone order a hero?" Vincent's head popped over the side of the ditch.

"Yeah, we did. Have you see one?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

Vincent scowled before his face morphed into one of surprise, as he spotted Mia next to me. A second later Kai's head popped over the side of the ditch and his face shifted to wear a similar expression to Vincent's.

"I told you not to tell anyone!" I exclaimed, appalled that Vincent would betray me.

"You said there were two of you, I thought I was going to need help," Vincent defended his decision.

"Besides, we expected to find you down here with Gabrielle, not Mia," Kai smirked, not even attempting to hide his amusement.

Mia scoffed on the floor next to me. Obviously Gabrielle hadn't kept our encounter a secret. 

"What's funny?" I squinted my eyes at her. 

"Feeling up Gabrielle is not something I would be bragging about, it doesn't exactly make you special," she couldn't seem to wipe the smirk off her face. 

"She-devils got a point," Kai spoke up. For some reason, it really annoyed me that he spoke about Mia like that to her face. It was just plain disrespectful. 

"Hey! Don't be so rude!" I snapped at Kai. Both him and Vincent looked at me in surprise, I even sensed Mia's shock behind me. 

"She's injured, she can't hurt you bro," Kai pointed out, a smirk playing on his lips. 

"Pull me out of this ditch so I can punch you," I ordered him. My days of being able to intimidate Kai were fading, but I was hanging onto the power for as long as I could. Even though I was younger than my brothers, my size and possession of sanity made me the top dog.

Reluctantly, Vincent got hand on his hands and knees at the edge of the ditch. 

"I'm gonna have to lift you," I said to Mia apologetically. She sighed, but didn't argue, she knew she had no other options. 

I held out my hand to her and watched her eyes dart to it cautiously. She looked slightly frightened, but I half-smiled at her to encourage her. 

I pulled her up and she had no choice but to rest on my chest, since she wasn't strong enough to stand on her own. I helped her over to the edge of the ditch and slowly moved my hands to her waist so I wouldn't alarm her. 

I lifted her and found she was surprisingly light, I didn't even break a sweat. It seemed as though she ran everyday so she was in good shape. I tried ever so hard to imagine what her body looked like as I lifted her, but it was a struggle. 

Vincent hooked underneath her arms and pulled her the rest of the way. After she was safely out I pulled myself up out of the ditch, it was pretty easy really. 

As soon as I was on solid ground with them I took a hold of Mia at the waist. 

"I'll walk her home," I decided, not trusting the other two to get her home safely. 

"I can walk myself, I'll be fine," she insisted, her stubborn side rearing its ugly head. 

"If you could walk a metre I'd be impressed, limpy," I chuckled. The look on her face was priceless. 

Kai and Vincent shrugged and headed towards the beach, in the opposite direction. Those two came as a pair recently. 

"You don't have to play the bitch all the time, you know," I said after we had walked in silence for a few moments. 

"What do you mean 'play the bitch?'" she didn't seemed offended though, as I had expected, not that I was meaning to insult her.  

"I'm beginning to think that there's more to you than meets the eye. I'm thinking that you aren't quite the she-devil you make yourself out to be," I quoted Kai's insult from earlier.

"Thinking or hoping?" she replied without much delay. 

"Well, I'd be disappointed to find out the glimpses of humanity I've seen in you recently weren't real," I admitted. The fact that she had allowed me to see glimpses of the real her made me feel a certain way. It made me feel a way that's hard to describe. It was a mixture of excitement and anticipation, but it also made me feel a little bit scared. The truth was, every time I saw Mia I went a little bit weak in the knees, the only thing that stopped me dreaming about her was the fact that she was didn't seem to possess a single good bone in her body. 

"I'm injured, I've been weakened. So, I'm sorry to disappoint you Montgomery, I really am a nightmare," she declared. We had reached her door by this time and our conversation was over, but I didn't believe her still. I knew there was more to her than she was letting on. I knew there was something lurking beneath the surface and I desperately wanted to find out what it was.