Chapter Six // Eric

Eric

"What have you done with Lisa?" Anguish laced her voice and it broke my heart. I looked up at her, she stood legs apart, with two hands stuck out in front of her; holding a black .32 calibre handgun. She cocked it, safety off. Her bottom lip trembled and the tears swimming in her eyes said a thousand words.

I slowly stood up, holding my hands out, not wanting to frighten her. "I'm Eric. I was Lisa's friend. I came here looking for her."

She shook her head, the tears falling freely down her cheeks. "No, no." Her denial barely audible through her broken voice. "How, how did you get in then?" Her hands shook as she spoke, she waved the gun at me slightly as she tried to process what was happening. "If she didn't let you in, the door... The door isn't broken! It wasn't a forced entry." Her eyes searched the room for answers, just as mine had done minutes before. "She'd only open the door to someone she knew."

"When I got here the door was open. There was no answer when I knocked and shouted through. I tried the handle and it opened. She was already gone."

She stared at me, weighing me up. Her eyes combing through every detail of the face I hadn't even seen in the mirror yet. This body was new to me and I felt out of place, lost without Lisa. Her bright green eyes unsettled me. I felt like she could see right through me, like she could see my soul. She slowly lowered her gun, never taking her eyes off me, she quickly slipped it into her jacket, clicking the safety on.

"What's your name?" I lowered my hands slowly; mirroring her, never taking my eyes off her. I wondered how much she actually knew about Lisa and the Misvan Gatu.

"Sage." Her voice stopped wavering, sounding much stronger. It made me feel awkward, I was still feeling unstable. Too much had happened in the past twenty four hours, I felt like I had lost myself in the madness.

"How did you-"

"-know Lisa? I'm her sister." Lisa hadn't ever mentioned her family in the short time that I knew her. Looking at Sage now I could see small similarities in their faces. The same lips and nose, but Sage's cheekbones were higher and her eyes a shocking green to Lisa's dark brown.

"I didn't realise she had a sister. I'm sorry. I wish I could have been here. I could have-"

"-there was nothing you could do..." She pursed her lips and took a deep breath, casting her eyes down."They got to her. I tried to stop it, but she wouldn't listen; said there was someone important that needed her help more than ever." She paused, then looked back up at me, her eyes bright. "She said that she loved him."

"Did she say who?" I knew that it was me, the guilt that was eating away at me lay heavy on my heart. I didn't love Lisa the same, she was my friend and it could never have been anything more than that. I suppose work got in the way, but I knew in reality I wasn't attracted to her, because I saw her as my own sister. I loved her like a brother would.

"No." Sage ran her hands through her thick dark brown hair. She walked further into the room, her eyes sweeping over the mess. Calculating and unnervingly beautiful, she stood out against the disaster like a beacon of light in a dark and stormy sea. The Misvan Gatu had trashed the room, drawers were open like they had been looking for something. Sage probably wouldn't understand, but I knew that Lisa was as good as dead if they had been here. There is no way that they'd have let her live. I broke the uncomfortable silence with the next question.

"Did Lisa tell you anything about what she did? Who she worked for?"

"Yes." She turned her emerald gaze on me again, curiosity crinkling her brow. "Not nearly enough though."