Chapter Two

For someone who didn't like groups of people, Skylar often found herself mixed in them.

"Thanks for actually coming and not ditching me tonight, Sky." Lindsay said, as she danced next to her.

"Of course, yeah." Skylar said, over the music. She felt so out of place in one of Lindsay's denim mini skirts, but also so on trend. She was dressed like every other sixteen year old girl who came out for the bonfire.

Zach and Morgan Bruner threw the same end of summer bonfire every September for the last six years. Like Skylar and Lindsay, they were only a year apart, and were friends with every teenager in Crestview. However, to get invited to the bonfire, you had to know the right people. Since Skylar was Lindsay's little sister, she was just cool enough. She was actually pretty good friends with almost all of them, since she had grown up with them. Otherwise, she'd have already left and started her walk across town.

"I'm gonna go find some of the volleyball girls. I'll find you in a bit?" Lindsay hugged her sister, and made her way through the sea of lust filled, angsty bodies. Skylar knew she wouldn't see her sister again for the night - at least not sober. Figuring she could use a drink, she navigated through the mini mansion to the kitchen.

The Bruners' parents both worked at the hospital in the next town over, and their kids never wanted for anything. Their house, a massive two story Victorian, was tucked away off a backroad on the outskirts of town, and they constantly held extravagant dinner parties. And, unbeknownst to the parents, parties which often housed inebriated minors.

Skylar nosed around the kitchen, in search of anything lightweight-friendly. Spotting a pitcher of spiked lemonade, she hurried over to it. It wasn't necessarily light, but at least it wasn't Jack Daniels. She'd just mix it with soda, anyway.

"Skylar!" A male voice boomed from across the kitchen. She braced herself and turned to the senior making his way toward her. His eyes were soft but worried, but he gave her a big grin nonetheless.

"Hi, Tom."

"What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in a while." He said, sounding slightly hurt. Or confused, maybe a little bit of both. Skylar gave him an apologetic half grin. She was afraid she'd run into him and have to explain herself to everyone.

"Yeah, I've been a little busy lately. Lindsay actually forced me to come out tonight, she says I've been too locked up in my room." She answered, rolling her eyes. "But I think she just needed a designated driver."

Tom chuckled, nodding his head. "Sounds like Lindsay." He paused, running a hand through his curly brown hair. "Would you want to step out back?"

Skylar smiled nervously. She was afraid to be confronted about why she had avoided him for the last few weeks. She had told Hannah and her sister that she felt pressured, but she knew that wasn't it. He was a senior, and he definitely had to want things that she didn't want, at least she had convinced herself. Thinking a few more seconds on it, she decided being alone with him wasn't terrible. "Sure."

Tom visibly relaxed, and the two made their way out back, his hand safely wrapped around her waist. Once outside, he dropped his arm. Skylar passed him and went to sit down on the porch swing. He followed, sitting next to her.

"So," he started.

"So."

"What happened, Sky?" He asked abruptly. "We had fun, why did you stop answering my messages? And stop sitting at my lunch table?"

"We did have fun." Skylar said, truthfully. He was funny, and they had went together to see the newest Spider-Man movie, one of her favorite comic book characters. They shared an interest in almost anything remotely nerdy, so they were bound to end up together, based on high school standards. "I don't know what happened, I just had a lot on my mind. I'm sorry for ignoring you."

"It's okay." Tom said. "But you could've just told me you needed space, Sky."

"I know, I'm sorry." She apologized. "Forgive me?" Tom looked at her, and she pouted her bottom lip.

"Fine, but you owe me a lunch date." He caved.

Skylar weighed her options. He was funny, cute, and he let her babble on about everything and anything. He was a good guy, what could hurt?

"Okay, deal."

*

"You've got another date with Tom? I thought you said he was a perv."

Lindsay had pulled her sister into the guest bathroom on her way into the kitchen to get another drink. She had spotted Skylar coming back in from outside with Tom in tow, and her suspicion arose.

"I don't know, he's not really. I just...dating is weird, Linds. And he's a senior, he's going off to college next year." Skylar shrugged her shoulders. "He's not a perv."

"Sky, I'm a senior, I'm going off to college next year. It's life." Lindsay said, her voice lightly slurred. "He's cute, sis! He likes you!"

"I know, I know." Skylar began. "We're going on a lunch date this weekend."

Lindsay beamed at her younger sister. She was always trying to get her to date and talk to boys, whether Skylar was up for it or not. Lindsay loved playing the role of her personal Cupid. More often than not, though, it didn't work out.

"I can't wait to help you pick out outfits and do your makeup. You're gonna look so bangin'." Lindsay puckered her lips. "He's gonna wanna kiss you all night."

Skylar rolled her eyes and giggled. "You're a dweeb, Linds."

"And you're socially inept, but I still love you." Lindsay said, laughing. "Come on, let's go back out to the party so I can say bye before we leave!" She said, pulling on Skylar's hand and interlocking their arms. She opened the bathroom door and the two headed back out into the party.

Lindsay pulled Skylar up to a group of her friends that were standing in the kitchen talking amongst themselves.

Skylar knew all of them through Lindsay, but not enough to really care for their conversation. They were talking about some new student who was starting at their school on Monday. No one really ever moved to Crestview, it was usually the town you moved out of, so it was always a topic of conversation whenever someone did.

Skylar let Lindsay say her goodbyes to her friends, and the girls headed out for the night.

"Thanks for coming with me tonight, Sky. I love you!" Lindsay drunkenly said, as they headed to their car.

"You know you only love me because I'm driving your drunk ass home." Skylar laughed, and Lindsay stuck her tongue out at her.

"Whatever, you love me, too." Lindsay said.

The girls hopped in their car, and headed home, ready to hear their dad's lecture about underage drinking in the morning.

***

Thanks for reading the second chapter, guys!