08 | meeting and greeting

—————————

"JUST CALL HER"

Manny and I sit cross-legged on a rickety bench, munching on a large pretzel. When my teeth make contact with the doe, soft and warm, a sense of familiarity shoots through my veins.

Dad used to eat these with me.

I look over at Manny, crumbs settling on his chin, and give him a pleading look. "I-I can't. I'm afraid of what she'll say"

The Mirror Garden is considerably empty. But then again, who drags their best friend along at five a.m, just for a savoury treat? It's the morning after Costello and I had a swim, and gazed up at the stars down by Series Lake. I'm still not sure if it was a date. But I have bigger problems. Manny and I have officially been here in London for almost two weeks; and we are running out of money. Fast.

"You have to call your mom, Don. Maybe she has good news or something?"

I shove the last of my pretzel into my mouth. "The only news I want to here is that my mothers left Keys, and wants me to come back home to a safe environment"

Manny runs a hand through his chocolate locks, making them stick up all over the place. "Who knows, you might be surprised by what Chelsea has to say"

The Mirror Garden has no ordinary roof, but a sheet of sugar glass that keeps its occupants dry during showers. Shane had explained that he and his colleges, only had a limited amount of money and time to get this project completed. Even then, I'm still impressed by how it looks.

"I doubt it. But I will talk to her soon if it keeps you at bay. But that means that you have to call Minnie" I lean back, splinters from the wood digging into my spine.

"She's upset. My entire family are. It took guts to come out to them, and having my own blood reject me, it really-"

Manny turns to face me, his eyes threatening to spill tears. "-broke me"

I clasp my hand around my best friends neck, bringing him into me. Manny and I stay like this for what seems like an eternity, as more early-birds enter The Mirror Garden. By the time we stand and stretch, it's well past seven.

I fish my phone out from my pocket, turning it off mute. When my mother sent me that blow-to-the-heart message last night, I made sure to switch off my notifications and such, so I wouldn't see her name appear on the screen. That probably wasn't the best idea, as it also stopped anyone else from contacting me; including Nina, whose eleven missed calls begin to freak me the hell out.

"Shit.." I curse under my breath, holding the phone to my ear. "I'll be right back, just have to make sure everything is alright"

Scurrying away from Manny, I call back Nina, the hairs on my arms standing up on edge. Nowadays, I don't know what to expect from others. But that is simply personal experience on my behalf talking.

"Donna! I haven't been able to get through to you, are you okay?"

Nina's tone is laced with concern, and I begin to feel bad for not explaining the situation with my mother to her. The only person who knows apart from Manny is..