VII. tortured souls

SANSA STARK STOOD by the harbour of Kings Landing

SANSA STARK STOOD by the harbour of Kings Landing. Her mother was dead. Her brother was dead. Her sister was dead. They had all been murdered by Walder Frey of the Twins and Joffrey had not spared any expense on Sansa's part. He had explained in graphic detail what they had done to her family.

Lord Walder had her sister drowned in the river and raped even after her body turned cold. Her brother had been stabbed in the heart by Roose Bolton and beheaded so he could be paraded around with his direwolf head sewn onto his shoulders. Her mother's neck had been slit to the bone by Frey's son; and Sansa was forced to remain as a tortured plaything for Joffrey to toy with.

ARYA HAD SEEN them

ARYA HAD SEEN them. She had seen Robb's body be jeered at and prodded with Greywind's head swinging from his shoulders. She had seen her mother's body dragged and thrown into the river. But she hadn't seen Enya.

Arya cried for her sister. She cried for what she thought they had done to her; she hadn't an idea what they were doing to her body or how they tortured her and it pained Arya to imagine it.

Throughout her life, Arya had always seen Enya as an invincible woman, a queen that couldn't be touched by anyone. She had never seen Enya cry nor show fear or pain and to her, her older sister was invincible.

And remembering what Enya was, was the only way for Arya to stay in denial. In her mind, Enya was safe, she was at Winterfell with their mother and father, and Robb, and they were waiting for Arya to return.

That was all that kept her going in the hard times that she was in.