boyfriend

Achoo!

"Sorry." Hayley groans, tilting her head back as she is on the couch, a blanket draped over her body and crumples tissues surrounding her.

"It's okay honey, just cover your mouth next time." Hayley's mother, Sam, says while pressing a cold rag to her forehead.

"But I'm too tired and weak to do that!" Hayley exclaims nasally, frowning. She sniffles, trying to breathe through her nose but to no use, her nose is still congested.

"She gets that from you, Sam." A new voice speaks up from behind Sam, making Sam turn around. When she does so, she is met with her husband, Benny.

"Gets what?" Sam crosses her arms and raises her eyebrows.

"Her dramatic nature." Benny replies with an amused smile. He then winces a bit as Sam punches his shoulder playfully.

"I thought I told you to keep the boys at the park so that they won't catch Hayley's cold." Sam reminds him about their twin boys.

"Relax, they're bound to catch it anyways. They sleep here and share the bathroom with Hayley." Benny shakes his head.

"You're right, maybe we should have them stay with Aunt Melissa for a while."

"Okay, now you're going way too far. Life is about getting sick or hurt, you can't protect the boys from everything you know."

"I know..."

Hayley watches her parents talk back and forth, half asleep with her eyes almost closed. She hasn't had sleep the past couple of days because of the cold. She can't breathe because of her stuffy nose, she is kept awake by her coughs and sneezes, and her muscles ache terribly. Hayley starts to fall into a slumber when her nose starts to tingle. She quickly reacts by grabbing a used tissue and shoving it to her nose. She sneezes loudly, then groans as her body starts to hurt even more; she grabbed the tissue too fast.

"Is the medication even working?" Benny questions, folding his arms over his chest and frowning over at his daughter.

Sam sighs. "It calms her coughs and sneezes for a while, but then they come back. They just keep coming back.

"Maybe she should go to the doctor and get stronger medication."

"You're right..."

Hayley whines out in frustration, throwing her head back. It's not that she's terrified of the doctor's, she just doesn't want anyone seeing her in this condition. No one has seen her, besides her parents and little brothers. Not even Penny and Jenny, and she wants to keep it that way.

"Hayley, you know you need to go."

"I know but" Hayley is cut off by the doorbell ringing. She immediately throws her blanker over her head, curling herself into a ball. She hears footsteps, the front door opening, then a voice she does and doesn't want to hear. That voice belongs to David.

"Hello Mrs. Rodriguez." His voice greets, making Hayley sink into the couch, trying to her hide her body even more.

"Please, David, I've told you lots of times, call me Sam." Sam smiles. "But hello, and welcome back."

"Thank you, uh, Sam." David hesitates a bit, making both Benny and Sam chuckle. David then turns to Benny. "And hello, um..."

"Let's just stick to Mr. Rodriguez for a little while longer, okay?" Benny smiles, making David smile back nervously and nod.

"So, where's Hayley?" David asks, looking around the room for her. "I heard from Penny and Jenny that she's sick? I brought some homemade chicken noodle soup for her to keep warm."

Hayley perks up a bit when he mentions the soup but hopes he'll just leave the soup and go back home.

"See that blob on the couch?" Sam points to the piece of furniture, making David nod. "That's her."

David goes over to the couch after handing Sam the container of soup he brought in. He kneels in front of the blanket blob and reaches a hand up to pull down the blanket a bit. Hayley's eyes peek out a bit, and when she sees David's blue eyes and big smile, she swoons a bit but then pulls the blanket over her head again.

"C'mon Hayley, let me see you."

"Go away," Hayley grumbles out. "I don't want you to see me, especially like this."

"Please? Then I would've come all this way for nothing." David pulls down the blanket again and Hayley doesn't do anything to pull it back up. She just looks at him with her lips formed into a pout.

"What are you doing here?" Hayley demands with a whine. She would have sounded more demanding but she feels so weak and sick to do so.

David was going to answer but Sam does it for him." "What kind of boyfriend would he be if he didn't come to check on you when you're sick?"

"Exactly." David nods but then his eyes widen as he realizes that Sam said something she wasn't supposed to out loud. Both Hayley and David freeze, their bodies tensing up as they glance at each other.

Sam grimaces a bit, shrugging. "Oops?"

"Boyfriend!?"

part two will be up soon!