XI

Pain split my head the next morning. I couldn’t move for what felt like forever. Finally, I dragged myself out of bed. Before my feet even hit the floor, though, I crumpled. My legs were shaking like I had just ran a marathon all day long.

    Grabbing the edge of my bed for support, and after several trials, I hoisted myself to my feet. I put one hand to my head, and the other on my nightstand. The cool wood beneath my fingers helped soothe my head a little.

    Groping the wall for a light switch, I fumbled with something. It felt like paper. I grabbed the paper, and continued feeling along the wall for the switch. I found it, and had to shut my eyes because of the bright light that suddenly came on. I opened my eyes a crack, and let my retina get used to the light for a bit.

    Once my eyes were completely open and I could see, I looked at the paper in my hand. It was a color drawing; a sketch of a tall tree. A strange symbol was etched into the bark of the trunk. A triangle facing down, with a little line extension at the left corner:

   I stared at the symbol for a while, but couldn’t figure out what it was

   I stared at the symbol for a while, but couldn’t figure out what it was. I looked around at the exposed roots lapping over each other like waves, and saw glowing eyes among the twisted bark. Blue eyes, two pairs of them, glowed from opposite sides. Amber eyes, on the right side, glowed with anger, right beside the blues. Brown, gray, and green eyes shone from the left, near the other pair of blue. The brown’s showed fear, and the gray’s showed apprehension. The blue’s shone with anger and hate. The green’s, though, shone with wisdom and love, with a bit of anger.

    I looked up from the detailed picture when I heard my phone buzz. I picked up the phone from the bed, and looked at the screen. It showed a black wolf with blue eyes: Ben’s cover photo. I clicked the message Ben had sent me.

    Hey. U up? U ok?

    I was tempted to send back that I hated him and to stop texting me, but something inside of me said no. I thought of my pounding head, and the weakness in my body. I sent back a reply.

    Yea. Im ok. U?

    After a minute, I got a reply.

U little liar. Yr heads hurting just like mine. Mind if I come over and talk?

I laughed at the first part, because Ben knew me way too well. I took a minute to decide on the second part. Did I want a killer in my house? Would he try to kill again? But, then I thought of the halos around us last night. The black and red halos. Halos that were so rare, and so hard to survive...

I heard a knock on my door a little while later, and realized that I had drifted into a semi-unconscious state. I unfolded my legs from beneath me, and stood to walk to the door. My legs wobbled, but I stayed upright. I opened the door when a second knock came, and found myself staring into blue eyes.

Whitney smiled, and said,”Hey, Lex. Your friend’s here. A boy named Ben? He says he needs to talk. Can he come in?” Without waiting for my answer, Whitney gestured behind her, and Ben appeared as if from nowhere. He stepped around me into my room, his hand just barely touching my hip where he had left bruises the night before.