Chapter Twelve

"(Y/N), what do you have planned?" The Squip heaved as we reached the school after running. I stared at him in disbelief. "You can't be out of breath!" I shouted. The Squip stood up straight. "N-no! I'm not!" He protested. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, where's Michael? He's the one with the plan." I replied. Suddenly Michael came jolting up to us, holding a large bag in his right hand. "You... you came," Michael stared at me in surprise. "Did you think I was going to let this happen alone?" I grinned at him. I pointed to his bag. "What's in there?" Michael grinned back at me and replied, "Mountain Dew Red," he shook the bottle in front of me, "Deactivates Squips. Told you I've been doing my research." The Squip seemed depressed suddenly. Michael went ahead into the school. "Squippy, what's wrong?" I asked, concerned by his sudden change in behaviour. "You're going to deactivate me... aren't you?" His voice cracked in sadness. I put my hand to my mouth. Of course he'd think that, we were about to deactivate everyone else's Squips. "Look, I won't be mad or anything... just..." The Squip sighed. "Just know I still really care for you." I pulled him into a tight hug. "I'm not going to deactivate you." I comforted him. The Squip froze. "You're... you're not?" I shook my head. "No way. Why would I? I have to reason to." The Squip smiled at me. "Thank you, (Y/N)." He nuzzled me. I pat his head, just like he used to do to me. "Let's go and rescue everyone!" I grabbed his hand.

"Oh... And thanks to Hobby Lobby for the costumes." I heard Christine speak, before she went backstage. I ran over to where Michael was sitting. "Listen (Y/N), I don't know how they're gonna squip everyone, but I know we're gonna have to force this Mountain Dew Red down their throats." Michael whispered. I nodded. "OK, sure that sounds fun." I whispered back. The Squip glanced at me. I had a feeling he was still worried that I was going to deactivate him. Michael was about to say something to me, but the show began. Chloe walked out onto the stage and began saying her lines. Perfectly. "That's weird, Chloe never remembered her lines." I muttered. "She's been Squipped." The Squip glanced at me. We suddenly heard Jeremy shout, "Green Mountain Dew turns you off, Red shuts you off!" And then he was flung towards us. Michael grinned and stood up, holding the 2l bottle of Mountain Dew Red. "Michael makes an entrance!" Jeremy's face lit up. "Michael!" He noticed me, "And (Y/N)!" I grinned back. "We were thinking, you know this is pretty good for a school play, and then we thought, THIS IS WAY TOO GOOD FOR A SCHOOL PLAY!" Michael shouted. "They've all been Squipped right?" I asked for confirmation. Jeremy looked at us both. "Wait, you came to see me in the play?!" Michael laughed and grabbed the bottle. "Even brought my own refreshments!" Jeremy stared at the red drink. "Is that-" He began and I nodded. "Mountain Dew Red. Michael really did his research." Jeremy grinned. "Great, give it to me!" Michael went to hand it over, but then said, "Actually, no." Jeremy froze. "But I need it!" He reached over for the bottle. "And I need an apology. I think that's in order, I mean, you treat me like I don't exist for days, blow me off when I try to help you-" Michael started, and then Jeremy interrupted: "Fine! I'm-" All of a sudden Jeremy couldn't speak. He kept stuttering "Saaaaa— Srrrrrr—" I stared at him. "Is it that hard to say sorry?" I asked. "His vocal cords are blocked." The Squip explained to me. "His Squip is blocking them so he can't talk properly." Jeremy shouted at me, "YYYYEEEES! C'mon, man, this is important!" Michael retaliated "Well, this is important to me!" Jeremy sighed desperately, "It's a word!" Michael instantly answered to "It's a gesture!" I groaned at the two of them. "Gestures matter!" I exclaimed. Suddenly Jeremy started to hit Michael. "Whoa, guys stop fighting please!" I begged them, and The Squip held me back so I wouldn't get hurt. "This is so you! You love to feel superior, just because you listen to music on vinyl and eat eel in your sushi and don't care about being popular!" Jeremy spat out. "Of course I care! I just know it's never gonna happen!" Michael shouted back. The Squip rubbed my shoulder to try and comfort me. "So you resent me because I wouldn't give up like you did?" Jeremy asked. "I don't resent you! I'm jealous you try!" Michael replied. "Well, I'm jealous you don't!" Jeremy shouted. "Then why are you hitting him?" I asked, feeling more and more anxious around my two friends. "I'm not trying to!" Jeremy glanced over at me. "Don't try harder!" I shouted at him. "It's – Not – Me – It's – My – SQUIP!" He exclaimed, falling to the floor. Me and Michael ran over to him. "It's taking over my body! I need your help! I'M SORRY!" Jeremy cried out as he rolled around on the floor, somewhat in pain. Michael and I gave each other a look. Jake had walked in on his crutches. "Jake! This is gonna sound weird, but if I hold down Jeremy, can you make him drink this Mountain Dew Red?" I called to him. "Actually, that doesn't sound weird at all," He grinned at me, but then he tipped the bottle out onto the ground. "Hey, check this out!" He threw his crutches to the floor. "It healed your legs?" Michael asked. He shook his head. "No, but I can't feel the pain. It's awesome!"

Jeremy and Michael glanced at each other as Brooke and Chloe creepily walked towards them both."THERE YOU ARE JEREMYYY". "What do I do?" I whispered to myself, unsure what I could do to help the situation. "(Y/N)!" The Squip called out to me. "Grab the bottle, get Christine to drink it!" I stared at him. "How is that going to save everyone?" The Squip looked at me. "Trust me, OK?"

Listening to his instructions, I grabbed the large bottle and ran past the Squip Zombies to Christine. "Christine?" I asked her. She turned to face me. "I HATE PLAY REHEARSAL SO SAYS MY VOICE THAT COMES FROM WITHIN I AM PERFECT SANS REHEARSAL BECAUSE I DON'T NEED TO PRACTICE TO WIN," her voice was robotic-sounding. "That's not Christine, Squippy." I frowned. "Get her to drink the bottle, she'll listen to you." The Squip pushed me forward gently. I slowly handed her the drink. As she took a gulp, I heard Jake, Jeremy, Brooke, Chloe, Jenna, Mr Reyes and Michael scream out in pain and collapse.

I stared at everyone on the floor, scared on what I should do. "S-squip?" I called out weakly. He walked up to me and pulled me into a hug. "Shhh, it's ok, everyone's safe." He comforted me. "Are... are they dead?" I whispered. The Squip shook his head. "No. They're all alive, just unconscious. Their Squips are all deactivated; they were all connected to each other. Turns out only one needed to drink the Mountain Dew." I glanced at my friends. "What do we do then?" I asked. "Call an ambulance, (Y/N), just say they all suddenly collapsed." The Squip stroked my hair. "It won't be lying per say, they did collapse." I nodded slowly and grabbed my phone out of my bag.

The paramedics wouldn't stop checking me over, even though I confirmed I was fine. Both them and The Squip diagnosed me with shock, so gave me a blanket and told me to be on my way. I decided to walk up to the other ward where my friends were. "Hello, Michael, Jeremy," I greeted, pulling back their curtain. The two of them smiled at me. "(Y/N), what happened?" Jeremy asked me. I pulled the spare chair over and sat down. "Turns out all the Squips were linked. You only needed to destroy one and all the others would follow." I explained. Michael looked at me strangely. "What?" I questioned. "I can't help but ask... (Y/N), do you still have your Squip? Because I still have bottles of Mountain Dew Red at home if you want-" I interrupted him. "I'm not getting rid of my Squip, Michael." I smiled. "Even though you've seen what they do?" Jeremy asked. I nodded. "Look, I'm pretty sure my Squip is faulty. So I doubt that my Squip can do anything. It didn't even link with yours when we stopped the play." I pointed out. "Look, I'm going to go home now. I'm in a state of shock, I'm meant to be taking it easy. Get some rest, Jeremy," I grinned, placing the blanket down on the chair.

"(Y/N)," The Squip spoke, breaking the silence of the house. He walked over to me. "Listen, go sit down, you're in shock, you should be resting." I laughed. "Is that it? Is that all you wanted to say to me?" The Squip shook his head. "No," he replied. "I... I think I know how to describe what I've been feeling." He placed his forehead onto mine. "And that is?" I asked.

The Squip lent down to my level and placed his lips onto mine. His lips were warm, for a computer, and his hands gently rested at my waist. I had no hesitation to kiss him back, this is what I'd been wanting. Not popularity, not Jake, just someone to take care of me and believe in me when I had no one else to.

That's what The Squip had done for me.

He pulled away and smiled at me, a faint red blush on his cheeks. "I love you, (Y/N). More than my database could ever describe." I grinned back and hugged him. "I love you too, Squippy."