Chapter 43

CHAPTER 43

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

FEBRUARY - MARCH, 1500

*Apostolic Palace, Rome, Papal States*

Entering the assembly room, Niccolo revealed the shocking news.

"He survived..." Niccolo explained, the words no one was expecting as Lucrezia was relieved.

"Can I see him?"

Niccolo nodded and she hurried away to her husband, Alfonso of Aragon, laying in the infirmary of the garrison.

"How is it possible?" Ana asked. "So much blood left him and he was stabbed in such crucial places."

Niccolo sighed. "His wounds were cauterised, limiting the blood loss and infection." He looked at Dario. "It was Sofia who saved him."

All eyes fell upon the Pope who was in denial, shaking his head. "No...she is responsible for his attack."

"Why would she attack him and then save him?" Vannozza asked as Rodrigo banged his fist on the arm of his throne.

"No! She did this and she will be held to account!"

Dario shook his head at his father. "You can't just blame her because you want to. You need proof."

"She was the one that was with him!" Rodrigo cried as Dario shook his head.

"But she is capable of so much so why would she stab Alfonso? And even if she did, why would she then save him?"

He pointed an intimidating finger at his own son and shook his head. "You just want to see the good in her. She is still wanted on charges of witchcraft and I want her found!"

"More importantly..." Niccolo cleared his throat, getting the attention of everyone present. "We wait for Alfonso to wake up and find out what he has to say. He must know who is responsible."

Dario looked at his father who reluctantly agreed. "I still want the witch found."

***

In the garrison, Ana remained alongside Dario and Niccolo at all times, since being held, hostage. It was safer for one of them to be with her rather than let her be alone.

As Niccolo stepped out from the infirmary, Gioffre and Ana were sitting on the wooden steps of the scaffolding, jumping up at Niccolo's appearance.

"How is he?"

"Still not awake. Lucrezia will not leave his side but we told her as soon as he wakes up, we have to be told...

Ana played with her hands. "Sofia wouldn't do this. It doesn't make sense."

"But Father is on a mission to blame her for something..." Gioffre explained, as he remembered something. "Wait...when little Rodrigo was born, Sofia said she had a vision? A sight into the future and she saw this - Alfonso being stabbed on the steps of the Basilica!

"What?" Ana asked. "Did she see who it was."

"No...we can't prove she didn't do it but we also cannot prove that she did. I don't think Sofia was certain herself..."

Dario entered the garrison and he caught everyone's attention. "Anything?" Ana asked as Dario shook his head.

"I've tried to reconnect with her but..." He groaned. "This is not happening..." He turned to Niccolo. "Alfonso?"