Chapter 2

WHERE LOVE GOES TO DIE.

When the bus stopped so did everyone else

When the bus stopped so did everyone else. All waiting to see the evil come back to our town. A few dramatic moments of still air and the doors opened. Stepping down the stairs with heavy boots carrying a blue duffle bag and a lit cigarette. Oh fuck.

He was just as stunning as the last time I saw him. Expect now he was muscler. Biceps and broad shoulders, very light scruff adorned his face. His hair had grown slightly, it was wild and absolutely gorgeous. He was wearing a white t shirt and blue jeans. He took a puff of his cigarette and looked around. Then he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder and began his first steps onto the pavement.

The whispers began to flow into the air as he walked. He seemed to pay them no attention. Even I was frozen in place staring along with every one else.

He started walking down the sidewalk. Every step was magnifying. The whispers got louder as everyone paused to focus on the menace that had come back into our society. He paused for a moment taking one last drag of his cigarette then flicking it to the ground where he stomped it out. He lifted his head, searching.

His eyes met mine. I gasped unable to look away.

Lifting a heavy boot off the ground he turned and began walking towards me. My feet froze on the grass I was standing on. Clutching my dress I prepared for the worst.

He finally reached where I stood. Then he took another step. My head went down. He took another step closer. My eyes were locked on his boots. The only other thing I could see was him putting his hand in his front pocket through my peripheral vision. He was so close, the tip of his shoes touching mine. Why was he so close? Everyone could see.

He was so tall so when he spoke it sounded like he was speaking down to me. "Where's your dad?" He said softly. His voice impossibly deep. I was holding my breath, there was no way I could speak to him.

"Back off delinquent!" Someone said.

Mason Withers. His family was like mine. His family was also one of the few my parents hung around with. I had known him since we were children.

Heath turned to look at him. "What are you looking at?" Mason said. Heath scoffed and turned to look at me. "Just tell me where your dad is sweetness," He said leaning down towards my ear. "And ill leave your alone," He said enclosing over me. "Don't touch her!" Mason pushed Heath away. Heath clenched his jaw and took a threatening step towards Mason.

"Hey! What's going on here," My father ran outside. I kept my head down. I didn't want to get in trouble. "He was bothering Lila!" Mason screamed. I could hear my father sigh. "Heath, come with me," He said. I watched as his boots started moving towards my father.

"Are you okay?" Mason asked. I nodded. "Don't worry about that lowlife, he'll commit another crime and be back in jail so don't worry," Mason said.

Still frozen I waited for everyone to pry their eyes of of me. Why did he do that?

I had never spoken to him before. He never acknowledged me before. It was strange, did something happen in prison?

Heath Lock was officially back into town. Something made me feel as if everything was about to change.