Part XIII: The Crowning

“You are now Arthur Pendragon, King of Camelot,” the archbishop announced.

Arthur rose from his kneeling position, crown atop his head. He turned to face the court, and cheers broke out, resounding within the stone chamber.

Merlin was the first to shout “Long live the king!”. Before long, every man and woman in the court was repeating the words over and over.

Arthur gaze swept the halls, seemingly searching for something. When his eyes settled on Merlin, his face relaxed.

“Long live the king!” Merlin cried, smiling at Arthur.

Arthur lifted one side of his mouth in response.

~

Later on, in Arthur’s chambers, Merlin congratulated him.

“You are now king of Camelot, my lord. And I could not be more honoured to serve you.”

Arthur turned to his servant, brows raised in a silent question.

“What is it, sire?”

“Do you really think you are just my servant, Merlin? After everything that has happened?”

Merlin wasn’t entirely sure what ‘everything’ Arthur was referring to. Was he referring to their dangerous adventures, their conquests, or their … moments? Merlin hated moments like these, where his heart conflicted with his mind.

“Everything that has happened?” Merlin questioned. He thought it might have been easier just to simply ask what Arthur had meant by his words.

Arthur’s hand shot out, grasping Merlin’s. Their fingers intertwined, and Arthur used this purchase to bring Merlin closer to him.

“Everything. Everything.”

Merlin’s breathing quickened, and he could see the beating of his heart in his own chest. He knew his hand was shaking, and prayed to anyone who was listening that Arthur wouldn’t notice.

Arthur tugged on Merlin’s hand again, once more bringing them closer together.

“Merlin, I–” Arthur began.

There was a knock at the door. Instantly, Merlin pulled away from Arthur.

“Come in!” the king called.

A knight opened the door and informed Arthur that he was needed, as it was a matter of great urgency.

“Thank you for informing me. I shall be there shortly.”

Once the knight had left the king’s chambers, he turned to Merlin. “I must go. But Merlin … never mind.”

Merlin had never been more confused than he was in that moment. Before Arthur had completely left the chambers he informed Merlin that his chainmail needed to be cleaned. More than a servant? Merlin thought to himself. Right.