Chapter 3

He ran through the thick woods, his strong arms supporting my body on the way. In the middle of a patch of trees he set me down.

"Can you tell me your name now? Or where we're going?" I questioned.

"Name's Daryl. We're going there." He pointed to a gray building with a barbed wire fence surrounding the area. "But I don't know how my people are going to react. So just stay here-"

"Stay here?! What if a walker gets me? What if the governor finds me? What if-?"

"Shut up, girl. Take this and stay here." He handed me a pistol. He then started for the large building structure.

I was scared. Scared of my own shadow, of myself. I panted, sweat running down my neck. I heard a stick snap, and I immediately started running after Daryl.

"I told you to stay back there!" He hissed.

"I heard something."

He sighed and took my arm and dragged me to the gates of the what I now saw to be a prison.

"Maggie, Carol!" He yelled as we passed through the gate opened by a young boy.

"And who's this?" The boy asked.

"I'm Jocelyn," I said. I reached to shake his hand, but he walker away.

As two women approached, I'm guessing Maggie and Carol, Daryl said, "Found her in that town. Governor trapped her in a room."

With that, he left, and I was left awkwardly with the two women. One with short, gray hair sneered and walked away.

"I'm Maggie," said the one with medium length brown hair.

"Jocelyn." I smiled.

"Hungry?"

"Uh, yeah, food would be great."

Maggie escorted me into the building where she gave me a plate of noodles with no sauce.

"Sorry about the sauce," she said.

I laughed and ate the meal in a few bites.

"You can stay in there," Maggie pointed to an empty cell. "The beds are surprisingly comfy, and the sink and toilet work."

I smiled and told her thank you before she left me alone in the cold, dark prison block. Before I could check out my room, someone grabbed me from behind. I screamed.

"Shhh!" someone laughed, a child. It's the boy that let me in the gates.

"I'm Carl," he said.

"Jocelyn. Please don't scare me like that."

His smile instantly turned to a glare. "Just playin'."

He walked away, and now I was really alone. I lied down on the bed in my cell. I was sad, but happy. I'd finally found a group of people I can actually trust, maybe. A tear streamed down my face, and that's when Daryl walked in.

"Oh I'm sorry...-" he said.

"No, I need company," I sat up.

"Oh, I'll get Maggie-"

"No, I wanna talk to you..."

He just sat on the edge of my bed.

"Why'd you take me here? You trusted me, that I wasn't working for the bad guy?"

"I could see fear in your eyes. I knew you were telling the truth." He kept his eyes toward the ground.

I smiled. Then something caught my eye. "What happened to your arm?"

His arm was slit on the bicep. "Nothin'."

"I was a nurse, let me help you."

"I don't need your help, girl." He stood up and left.

I thought about him until I fell asleep.

Vote and Follow! xxx