Chapter 6

UPDATE 23/9/18 - EDITED

Chapter 6 – Day One: The Secrets of the Old Storeroom

As the term drew to a close, every minute only added to my dread of having the Hosts spend the break with me – I mean, not only would they blatantly insult something every five seconds, but they'd be so melodramatic about all the work to do.

"So, this fancy Host club of yours is staying at our house because you did something stupid – that sound about right?" Corn, my only brother, said between grunts as he pulled at and tied the ropes. He stood bent over a massive log, covered from head to toe in splatters of mud, and he flicked his hair back to look at me dead in the eye.

I averted my gaze. "Way to sugar c-coat it, Corn." I crossed my arms over my chest, not caring that I was getting mud all over my brand-new dungarees. "And you sh-shouldn't spend your savings on c-clothes for me," I scolded even though my old pair were in dire need of a trash can.

This time when he looked at me, it was with furrowed brows and a bright red face. "I think you'll find I'm the older brother, so I'll spend my money spoiling my little sister if I want to!" He waddled over in the mud, once even sinking down to his knees, just to smack the back of my head.

"When I get married, you won't have me around to spoil anymore," I commented, half teasing despite the solemn look on my face. I hated the idea of leaving Corn behind, but I knew Kyoya's father would only accept the best for an Ootori, and Kyoya himself would die if he had to live on a farm.

"Don't say things like that. I'll spoil you forever and ever, and Ootori can go to Hell because he can't keep you away from me!" His voice becomes a whisper as he pulled me into a hug. "We're family." I wrapped my arms around him in return, but I avoid burying my face into his chest – I'd rather not blind myself with mud. "Anyway," he suddenly said, pulling away. "We'd better get moving if we want dinner before nine!"

We trudged through the thick mud together, lugging logs attached to some rope that we slung over our shoulders. "What should we do about the Host club?" I asked after a few minutes. "T-they've never done farm work b-before."

"Like hell will we let them get away with being lazy!" shouted Corn with a suspiciously evil grin on his face. "Those rich bastards can learn what it's like to lose their gumboots in some dirt!"

"Just b-because you did?" I teased, gesturing to his feet, which were now bare since he'd lost his boots and his socks in the mud. Adjusting my grip, I ignored his glower and focused instead on the zig-zag path I was walking (having to come back later for one pair of gumboots was enough, and I wasn't losing mine anytime soon!).

His glare became a grin when he said, "Imagine those pompous weirdos feeding the pigs! And they'd get eaten alive by the goats!" I smiled. Corn's mood changed so often, but his smile was always contagious – it almost made Kyoya crack a small one the first time he saw it.

"I want to see T-Tamaki with the chickens. He'd fit right in," I joked, recalling what he was like with Haruhi's dad when they first met. I'd been forced to go to her complex by Kyoya, who had me explain nearly every little thing that was different. Corn was so mad at Kyoya for dragging me out of my study time that he even screamed insults at him over the phone, and it only got worse when he found out that I failed my test the next day.

Corn was silent for a moment before he spoke again. "I'd love to teach that Kyoya Ootori his place as well." I didn't know if it was the fact that he was rich or because I failed that test, but Corn loathed Kyoya. He even begged me to decline the arrangement, even said he'd rather me marry his bully from high school (who's in prison).