Conversation 1

"Hey Moon?"

"Yes Violet?"

"When did you realize that you loved the sun?"

The moon pondered a bit before replying, "I guess that first time we met, when we both could fit the sky. I took one look at her, and for the first time, I knew what light was."

"Why crave light when you have darkness?" She asked.

"I guess we all crave those things that seem too far away from us. Tell me, do you crave the light too?"

"Moon, you cannot crave something that you've never seen."
Violet sadly looked down at her hands, picking at her chipped nail polish.

"Sure you can. You crave happiness, do you not? I'm sure you have seen happiness before."

"Moon, you do not understand. Happiness is only a glimpse of a childhood long forgotten. I have grown fond of the darkness, and of everything gloom touches."

"You have only grown fond of the darkness because you are scared; you're too scared to touch the light for what it might do to you."
The moon spoke as if he could change her mind, as if she needed his help.

"I am not scared of the light. It's just out of reach for me." Violet pulled down her hair, wrapping a black strand around her finger subconsciously.

The Moon shook his head, "You are blind."

Violet blinked back tears, "Moon?"

"Yes Violet?"

"Do the stars feel love as well?"

"Well I would assume so, we are all made of stars, you and me, we're celestial bodies. You have stardust in your lungs, and in between the creases of your bones."

"Huh." Violet held up her hand in front of the moon, outlining it in his glow. She studied her hand, hoping to see a flicker, a crystal of faith.

"You cannot see it. But if you concentrate hard enough, you can taste the stars that coat your heart."

"Moon?"

"Yes Violet?"

"Why are we here?" Violet pushed her glasses up her nose with one trembling finger.

The moon held his breath, "I don't know Violet."

"For once, you do not know something? Moon, you know everything."

"I do not know everything. I see everything. Seeing gives a greater knowledge than just knowing." The moon said, his voice ebbing into the night, drowning out other thoughts Violet had.

"How so?" Violet asked, confusion wading into her view.

"Seeing can become something you know, but seeing how it affects, to see it in action, is greater than just knowing a simple fact."

Violet nodded, her black hair falling into her face, "Do you see everything?" Her voice quivered and her grey eyes started to water.

"Violet, you tell me everything. Why are you worried?"

"Because seeing is different than knowing." Violet snapped her head up, "Do you know if he's okay?"

The moon was about to respond before he was interrupted by an opening door.

"Violet come downstairs, we're writing a letter to your father." Violet's mother said.

"Okay, hang on." Violet waited until her mother closed the door. "Will he be home soon or is he being deployed somewhere else?"

"I do not know Violet, I'm sorry."

"Goodnight Moon."

"Goodnight Violet."