2- Kiss a Stranger

I roll over in my bed, groaning into my pillow at my throbbing headache. I struggle out from under the comforter, staggering over to the door. I pull it open, shading my eyes at the sudden assault of fall sunlight. 

"Erin, is that you?" Dad calls, "I've made lunch, if you're awake?"

I tread softly down the stairs, trying not to disturb my head, "Sounds great, Dad."

He laughs as I stagger into the kitchen, still in my old pajamas. He pulls out a chair for me, "You were a bit late last night?"

I groan, my head slumping into my hands, "I was at Dahlia's, with Trystan and his cousin."

"Who's Trystan?" Dad smirks, dropping a packet of aspirin and a glass of water onto the table in front of me. I pop out a couple of pills, dumping them into my mouth and downing the glass of water. Dad places a plate of pancakes in front of me, ruffling my hair, "Who's this Trystan?"

I take an eager bite of the pancakes, shoving them in my mouth, "Trystan is Dahlia's twin brother."

Dad sits down opposite me and smiles, "Well, he might have been calling you a few times whilst you were out? And you've got mail."

He drops a small envelope on the table in front of me, my address surrounded by bright swirls of pen and flowers. My eyes hurt to look at it and I look back up at him, "How many times?"

"About three. He left messages every time," Dad stands up, handing me the phone and taking my plate, "You should call him. And get dressed- you look terrible."

"Thanks, Dad," I say, rolling my eyes and trudging off upstairs. As I walk, I listen to the voicemails that Trystan has left.

"Hey, Erin. It's me, Trystan. Your phone's off and... I just wanted to check that you got home okay?"

Bleep

"Hey, it's me. Again. I was... well, call me when you're up?"

Bleep

"It's Trystan. Meet me down on the beach, next to the pier."

Bleep

I put down the phone, throwing it onto my bed. Then I run across to it and redial Trystan's number, lying back on my bed and trying to sound positive. 

"Hello?"

I take a deep breath, "Hi, Trystan. I got your messages."

I can almost feel Trystan's embarrassment through the phone and I giggle softly. 

"I'm already at the pier, will you meet me?"

"Sure," I say softly, rummaging through my wardrobe for some vaguely nice clothes. Then the phone cuts off, leaving the cold buzz of a dead line. I put the phone down and sprint for the bathroom, hurrying to get into the shower.

I rush out of the house, taking the chain off my bike and starting to pedal down the street. I ride past block after block, the buildings fading into a meaningless blur. I freewheel down the last street down to the beach, chaining up my bike and running down onto the beach. 

"Trystan?" I call softly, looking along the beach towards the pier. 

A figure turns around, silhouetted against the gentle glow of the fall sun. They walk towards me slowly, their face shadowed by the hood of their tattered hoodie. 

"Do you remember what happened last night?" Trystan asks, his voice hoarse as his eyes raise to meet mine. 

I look at him, confused, "No... Am I meant to remember something specific? It's all a blur."