II

"Babe," Shawn whispered softly into my ear. I hummed and turned around to face him. He smiled brightly and kissed my nose.

"Morning," he sang.

"Morning," I muttered. I rubbed my eyes and adjusted to the light in the room. The room was grey due to the dark clouds of morning gloom. In our silence, I heard the soft pitter patter of rain droplets on our windows.

"We have a date," Shawn said as he held my hand and placed his lips against the back of my hand. His touch was gentle and sweet.

"We do?" I said obliviously.

"Yes, and our reservation is at 8:30 am," he said while rubbing small circles on my knuckles.

"We haven't had a morning date since our first one." I chuckled.

"I know, which is why I wanted to have one."

"What's the occasion?"

"I love you." He said as he pecked my lips.

"Okay, what time is it?" I asked.

"Time, my dear, is of the essence. You have to get ready. Plus, who needs time. I've got you." His kind words were touching, but I did the calculation in my head. The results were, it's probably early as fuck and, he doesn't want me to get mad. Cute.

"It's 6:15 am isn't it." I deadpanned.

"Okay, it's 6:45 in the morning." He said rapidly. I laughed and shook my head. I swung my legs over the mattress and sat up. I turned to Shawn and said, "You're making the bed."

"Love you." He smiled sincerely.

"I know you do," I said leaning over to kiss him.

Shivers ran down my spine when my exposed feet touched the freezing hardwood floor. I grabbed my silk robe and shuffled my way to the bathroom to complete my morning ritual. I didn't bother attempting to applying any makeup today. I grabbed the mascara and brushed the wand on my eyelashes before exiting the bathroom.

I searched through my closet to see what I would wear for the special date Shawn has planned. I reached for my dark ash knit sweater and a pair of charcoal pants. I fished for my favorite pair of knee-high boots. I found them beneath the clutter of shoes I have collected over the years.

I slipped the items on and stood up with very little grace. I stumbled as I rose from the ground. Shawn caught me before I toppled.

"You're like a newborn giraffe." He chuckled. Even with my four-inch heels, it wasn't enough to be as tall as my towering boyfriend. But I didn't mind.

"Thanks, Daddy." I teased.

"It's too early for you to be turning me on like this. He said before he slipped his fingers under my shirt. He pressed his body against my back, his cool touch against my skin caused goosebumps to rise on every inch of my body. I inhaled deeply and closed my eyes.

"We could always stay here," I suggested.

"Baby, you'll love it. I promise." He said spinning me around. I wrapped my arms around him and pressed my cheek against his chest.

"Fine," I mumbled.

// <> //

We arrived at the Americana and parked inside the parking lot. When I exited the vehicle, I was welcomed by a chilling gust of wind. I stretched the sleeves of the sweater to my fingertips and gripped it tightly. Shawn walked to my side and draped his arm around me. I huddled close to him to gain some warmth.