At the Library

On the last day of school at the library, Ben was gathering his things after the terrifying experience in the library storage room when he noticed some one.

She looked around his age, maybe older, and had a book in front of her, but didn't have her head down, which caught his eye. He stood back up to look at her.

Her long slightly curly hair fell just past her shoulders and her eyes had an almost dazed look on them as she mumbled under her breath, moving her fingertips along the book's page. Ben hesitated before walking over, as he drew closer, she stopped mumbling and turned in his direction.

"Who's there?" He raised an eyebrow. "My name's Ben." She slowly smiled. "I'm Caroline, nice to meet you." She held out her hand and he shook it carefully.

"And here I was thinking no one else would be in the library that's my age." She gestured to the seat across from her. "Won't you sit down?" He hesitated before sliding into the spot.

"You seem stressed, scared even." He nodded. "Yeah. I just...saw something terrifying." She smiled sadly.

"I wish I could see something scary." "No you do-" He stopped himself and leaned forward a little.

"Wait...are you...blind?" She slowly nodded. "Since birth. But it's never really been a problem. See this?" She taps the open book.

"It's a horror story. Thanks to books like this one, I can see anything in my mind's eye." She grins wickedly. "I do love descriptive stories don't you?" Ben was at a loss for words.

"Not if it involves blood." She giggled. "But Ben, those are the best kind."