The Losers Club

Some days later, Ben's sitting with his new friends at the 4th of July fair when he recognizes one of the people walking around.

"Caroline, over here!" Her head whips around as she smiles. "Ben is that you?" He hops to his feet and runs over, taking her by the arm and leading her to his friends area.

"Guys, this is Caroline." Eddie's face lights up. "I know her, she moved onto my street a year ago." Her head turns in his direction. "Hey Eddie, your mom still holding you hostage?" A grin breaks out on Richie's face.

"I like this girl." He hops to his feet and sticks out his hand. "Name's Riche, it's an honor to meet another fellow comedian."

She hesitates before extending a trembling hand to carefully wrap her fingers around his and gently shake. As her head tilts up to his level, his smile fades when his eyes meet hers. "You're pretty." It tumbles past his lips before he can stop it. She eagerly smiles.

"Really? What do I look like?" The smile returns to his lips as he cocks his head to one side. "You don't know?" The smile slips from her face as she yanks her hand back to her side.

"No." Richie's confused, until Ben stands beside her and purposely passes a hand in front of her face. When she doesn't react, it dawns on everyone else in the Losers Club. Though everyone wants to ask it, Bev's the one who speaks.

"You're blind?" Caroline regretfully nods. "For as long as I can remember. But I don't let it hold me back." "You can sit with me if you want." She turns to Richie. "Thank you Richie, that's very sweet of you." He smiles nervously as the rest of the group giggles playfully.

"So, what's up with you guys? How's your summer been?" When no one replies, she frowns. "Might it have something to do with the disappearing kids?" The seven kids gasp, she smiles playfully.

"How'd you-?" "Oh please, they don't make many missing posters in brail but they make enough. That and its all they talk about on the news." Pause.

"I heard you guys talking about the creature responsible for all this." Everyone else freezes. "Don't worry, I believe you. Only something purely inhuman would take children like nobody's business." She leans forward on her thin, light gray walking stick.

"I want to help you." Everyone looks to Bill, awaiting his decision. He shakes himself from shock before replying.

"Th-thanks b-b-but we d-don't-" "I'm not asking Billy," his eyes pop open, "I'm telling. I can help you, because I have something the rest of you don't." Mike shrugs. "What's that?" She pauses for effect.

"I'm not afraid of anything."

No one says anything, not at first, they're shocked speechless.

"That's impossible." Says Stan, Caroline shakes her head. "No it isn't, you guys said you all saw something right?" Everyone let's out a reluctant yes. Ben's the first to catch on.

"But you can't see, which means It has nothing on you!" She smiles. "Exactly, that's how I can help you. So...can I come?" This time, Bill smiles. "Sure." Though she doesn't say anything, her bright beaming face says it all. A thought crosses Richie's mind and he taps her shoulder so she turns towards him.

"If you could see anything in the world, what would it be?" She smiles.

"That's easy, a clown." His jaw drops. "W-why?" She playfully shrugs.

"I've always wanted to. And balloons, I'd love to see a whole bunch in different colors. Especially red." For a brief moment, her smile turns sinister.

"Red's my favorite color."

The statement though simple sends a fearful shiver down everyone's spine. Except Ben, who had already been exposed to her dark side. But everyone notices how even though she can't see, a dark cloud passes over her eyes, making her seem like something from another world. Despite this, Richie watches her from the left, smiling at how lovely the sunlight dances over her peacefully angelic face.