Chapter 1

It was late into the evening. It has been a long ride for both Edward and his fiancée, Geraldine as they have begun their travelling early in the morning. For it was less than a fortnight ago when Edward Norton and his family have received a letter from his uncle. His uncle, who has been bedridden with sickness for quite a while, has his life hanging on the thinnest of thread. Even the best physicians and chemists have tried their best and, despite their best effort, they could do nothing except to watch him deteriorate day after day, as he slowly loses bits of himself. Now, with his death nigh, he has called upon his butler to pen a letter for him, which was to be sent to Edward Norton and his family. The content of such letter is stated as below.

Dear Joseph and Cassandra Norton

I am sure that this letter did not come to you as a surprise, as you are aware of my current condition and the ailment that I suffer. The physicians have yet to diagnose this strange ailment, however, I fear that they are running out of time for I can feel my health waning with each passing day. Therefore, you can imagine the joy that swelled in my heart when I heard of the arranged marriage between your son Edward and the daughter of the highly esteemed Lord Bachus. It is my understanding that this wedding is set for the foreseeable future. I only wish that I may have the opportunity to see this sweet and blessed couple before my time is up.

The only thing holding me back is the current status of my health, which makes travelling nearly impossible, let alone long distance travel. I beseech you, if able, to allow this couple to come and stay in my abode for a few days so that I may have one last chance to share some time with them before I depart this realm.

During their stay, my butler Gerard will ensure that all the necessary food and house-keeping are attended to. They should make themselves at home, for Gerard and I are the only occupants of this house. I understand the predicament of this couple and I am able to provide separate rooms for both Edward and Geraldine, as I am sure that Lord Bachus would most certainly object to the couple sharing the same room before they are married.

Please consider this the dying wish of an uncle who loves his nephew dearly, lest I will turn in my graves knowing that I never get to see them once last time.

Yours sincerely

George Norton

Upon receiving this letter, Joseph Norton has liaised with Lord Henry Bachus that they may allow this couple to travel together to Barnsley to visit George one last time, lest they will never get the chance again. Lord Henry Bachus have agreed to this proposition, in order to fulfill the old man his final wish. It was then on one morning of October that Edward and Geraldine have packed their luggage into the coach and set out to Barnsley. Fortunately, it was mid-autumn and the air is ambient, making long-distance travel somewhat more bearable. The couple will travel with only brief stops in between so as to allow the horses to rest and they are expected to reach their destination before sunset. Should there be a need, they will stop and seek for overnight lodging, as the highway men were notorious around the regions. Growing up, Edward was taught the skill of archery and sword-fighting. His father believed that a true gentleman should acquaint himself with the art of combat. However, although Edward has proven to be adept at combat skills, he never developed a liking for it. Instead, he found his interest in activities that stimulated his mind, with chess being his favourite past time.

The same could be said for his fiancée, Geraldine Bachus, for she was taught the art of music at a young age. Like many nobles in her area, the ability to play the piano adeptly was required. When Edward has met Geraldine for the first time, he felt that there were so much they have in common and that she was the woman for him. However, several days after their first meeting, she has suddenly expressed her emotions rather differently than the one he has observed previously. She seemed distant and inattentive as if troubled by an internal woe. On several occasions, Edward has encouraged her to discuss her worries with him, however, she had only assured him that everything was in good order. Whatever troubled Geraldine somehow seemed to have been resolved, as no sooner than their encounter a week later, Edward was relieved to discover that Geraldine has returned to her old self. The once dreary and worried countenance was replaced with the gleaming smiles and cheerfulness. Although the exact reason was unknown, Edward has concluded that Geraldine could have merely been anxious about the arranged marriage.