The Overseer

Her hair stood out in the forest, long, pure white strands glowing against earthly greens and browns. Nina walked silently, weaving her way through the trees, admiring the scene. A hundred years in this forest and she never got tired of its beauty. She reached her small cabin and pushed open the creaky door. Her eyes landed on the Shakujō staff resting in a corner or the room and she gazed at the engraving on the handle that she had seen a million times.

Overseer of the world, Ōtsutsuki Nina

A parting gift from her old friend.

She came to a familiar field. On the ground, like clockwork, she began drawing a symbol, her clan's symbol. She then struck her shakujō staff into the ground at the center of the field and jumped on top of it, stabling herself and becoming very still.

The sun soon set and the moon was in view, shining in all its glory. She formed a chain of hand seals; hare, tiger, ox, bird, boar, hare. The Ōtsutsuki clan symbol she drew in the dirt began to glow a very faint purple. The moon slowly lost its white light until it turned a deep, blood red. A stream of pale red moonlight streamed straight towards the field Nina stood in.

This was chakra, delivered from her clan. She needed it to survive.

After the strange red light faded, she jumped off the staff and pulled it from the ground. Looking up at the moon, she offered a polite bow before turning and disappearing into the dense foliage of the forest.

The moon remained a striking red for the rest of the night.

One morning, as usual, Nina was up at dawn. She headed out, going to a nearby river to clean herself.

Twenty minutes later, she was out of the water and dressed. All in a second, ribbons of stream water behind her rose up, formed icicles, and launched at the trees across the river faster than the eye could see. Out from behind them jumped out half a dozen men, dressed in clothes that sported the Uchiha symbol. They surrounded her, hands on their swords, ready to strike at a moment's notice.

"Surrender now, Senju. We have captured one of your generals and resisting will result in his immediate death." Nina paused at this, they thought she was a Senju. Perhaps it was because she provoked them, but somehow, she highly doubted that. However, what she did know was that at least one Senju had been captured by the Uchiha and she did not doubt that the men were telling the truth about that. Nina slowly raised her arms, surrendering. She would help the Senju escape. After all, she had made a promise.

Nina was thrown into a dark cell, what light was in there did not illuminate anything properly.

"You're not one of us, are you?" a soft voice came from her left. A few moments later, her eyes had adjusted enough it was see a man, around twenty-five years old, who had spoken. Behind him were seven other men, all dressed in Senju armor.

"I am not." Nina answered, examining the men: they seemed to have only minor injuries, nothing life threatening. "But the Uchiha seem to think I am." The young man let out a bitter laugh.

"Tough luck, huh?"

They fell into silence, that is, until they heard someone yelling outside. Soon after that, two men opened the door to the cell and walked over to her, mumbling something about going to talk to their leader. She was brought into a building that seemed to be the office of a high ranking clan member. A man who had all the classic Uchiha features; raven hair that reached his shoulders, a blue, high collared shirt, and deep black eyes. The two men who brought her from the cell bowed to him and backed out. The man looked at her with an apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry, it seems that my men have made a mistake. They should have known that your clan does not have female soldiers. We are not uncultured, we do not attack or capture innocent people who are not involved in the war, even if they are from an enemy clan." he paused and seemed to remember something. "Excuse my manners, I am Uchiha Izuna. What's your name?"