• chapter seven •

Making my way into the house, I dragged my bag behind me, the wheels catching on small stones stuck in the ground that pierced into my shoes with each step I took. The house loomed before me, it an elephant and me an ant; it could very easily consume me and leave nothing left in my wake. For in that house, my heart lay. The moment I had set eyes on Kieran, he had my heart, and there was no one else I would rather give it to.

"You must be Malia." A tall, buff man stood at the open door. I stopped in shock, surprise overcoming my features. This man was built. Too built. I preferred my men with a little less muscle. Just like Kieran, my subconscious reminded me. I internally rolled my eyes; I was so obsessed with that man.

"Uh, yes. I'm Malia, and you are...?"

"I'm Beta Andrew, but you can just call me Andrew." He introduced himself, holding his hand out for me to shake. I took it hesitantly, afraid he would break my hand in half. He was obviously strong enough to.

"Nice to meet you. Can you show me to a room, please?"

Grinning, Andrew led me into the house, taking the suitcase from my hands, leaving me to carry my backpack. I graciously accepted and followed him inside.

The house was beautiful. The stained timber floors complimented the simple light grey walls beautifully and the enormous wall of windows facing the grassy field that stretched onwards left me speechless. What I couldn't get over was the mess. Littered around the house were children's toys, books, dishes - everything.

How could one house be this messy? This was going to have to change.

Andrew saw my gaze and chuckled awkwardly. "I'll explain everything to you when we get to your room."

Walking down the chaotic hallway filled my mind with questions; I knew that my parents thought Kieran's control of the pack was poor, but I didn't think it would be to this extent. Everywhere I looked there were toys, books, magazines, there was no clear space, and as a result Andrew had to carry my suitcase, rather than wheel it along behind him. I didn't understand, this was such a nice house and was a well respected pack, and then it just went downhill.

Andrew stopped and as I was focusing more on the mess surrounding me, I crashed straight into him. Stepping back, I blushed, apologising profusely, to which Andrew just waved a hand nonchalantly.

"This is your room; Kieran requested you have it." Andrew said, placing my bag next to the bed. "Take a seat, we need to have a talk."

Nervously, I sat on the bed, the covers nearly swallowing me whole, and I turned slightly to face Andrew, who had taken a seat at the small table in the corner of the room.

"I want to help." I blurted out, before Andrew could say anything. His eyebrows raised in surprise as he stared at me in shock.

"Malia, I honestly do not know how much you could do. You can't help a person who doesn't want to be helped." He shook his head sadly, and I felt the desperation increase within me.

"At least we can start with the pack. You know how out of control it is; I'll clean it up. Do you have rosters for kitchen, clean up, and a training schedule? Or even a defence strategy?"

Andrew looked lost; he didn't appear to understand a word of what I had just said. Slowly, he shook his head and my confidence sank. Great.

"Okay, that's a no then. Where do you go on full moons?"

He was again silent. What had this pack been through? Everyone, except alphas, Lunas, and anyone in an alpha's family, shifted on a full moon and lost control completely until the sun rose. So having no cells to lock everyone away when their most primal instincts took over was highly dangerous, and could result in deaths. It was a miracle the house was still standing.