Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“What on earth is going on here?” Miss Patterson asked in confusion as she looked at the chaos surrounding her.

“Oceana has gone missing, Miss Patterson.” Miss Grey hastily explained, “I’m afraid we are in no way able to have the usual visit today. As you can see, this place is in an uproar.”

“Oceana went missing again?”

“Oh, it's a lot more serious than that. Last night she went to bed with all the other children, but when we woke up this morning, she was gone! Her bed was made, the nightgown was folded neatly, everything was in order but the child was nowhere to be found. I don’t know how she got out, must have floated straight through the ceiling, because all the windows and doors were locked.”

“She ran off in the night?” Miss Patterson became worried. “Have you checked the prison?”

“That was the first place we looked, but the prison is closed down.”

“Closed down? What on earth does that mean?”

“They said the prison will be demolished and all the prisoners have been relocated, so it’s obvious she could not have gone there.”

“Where have they been relocated too?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Where is Miss Morgan?”

“She’s in her office talking with Beth. Shall I take you there?”

“Thank you, Miss Grey, I know the way.” Miss Patterson hurriedly made her way to Miss Morgan’s office. She knocked on the door and entered.

“Beth, did you know Oceana was going to run away?” Miss Morgan was asking Beth. She looked up when Miss Patterson entered. “Ah, Miss Patterson, you heard the news?”

“I did indeed.” Miss Patterson sat down in the chair next to Beth.

“Did you know she was going to run away?” Miss Morgan repeated.

“Yes ma’am.” Little Beth replied.

“And why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“I promised her I wouldn’t tell, and you know I must always keep my promises.”

“Why did you promise not to tell anyone?”

“Because Oceana is my friend and we always keep each other’s secrets.”

“Did you help her escape?”

“Not really, she planned the whole thing on her own; I merely locked the kitchen window after she left to keep us all safe. I know it’s not good to sleep with the kitchen window unlocked.”

“Do you know how she got out of the orphan asylum property?”

“She climbed the tree to get to the top of the wall and then jumped off to the other side.”

“Oh, Beth, Beth, why didn’t you tell anyone, why did you help her run away?” Miss Morgan shook her head in despair.

“Oceana is not meant to be kept in a cage, Miss Morgan, she’s not a canary, she’s a nightingale and you know nightingales don’t do well in cages.”

“Do you know where she has gone?” Miss Patterson asked.

“No, I don’t. Oceana didn’t tell me because she knew I would be asked and that I would not be able to lie to you. This was why we decided that the less I knew, the better. I have no idea where she is now or where to look for her. The last I saw her was when she waved to me from the top of the wall before she jumped down. Where she went from there on is just as much a mystery to me as it is to you.”