i, one

THE ARRIVAL

They came out of nowhere. Elizabeth had been driving back home from the university of boston when it happened. She hadn't known back then that it was an Electromagnatic Pulse that had disabled everything that ran on electronics. 

It had been that which had caused the accident on the crossing between Brattle Street and Sparks Street, the two cars ahead of hers crashing into the crossing cars of the connecting streets. 

Her car had flipped over several times after trying to crash her brakes without any luck. She later on had realised her belt had saved her life, looking around her car as she tried to undo her safety belt to see what had happened.

She had placed one of her hands on the roof of her car, her other reaching for the lock as her body had crashed into the roof while her hands were clawing at the door in seconds. Her flight adrenaline had kicked in, every inch of her with every vessel in her body told her she had to get out. 

In fact she hadn't known, couldn't know, whether she had somehow gotten wounded one way or another since the adrenaline was most certainly covering up her pain at the moment. Her eyes blurred with tears, those mostly from the shock despite seeing the accident happening right before her and knowing she were to be next in the collusion. 

The twenty year old had crawled onto the concrete, cars behind her had come to a halt somehow, but none of them helping those in the accident ahead of her nor her own. Instead they stood staring at their phones or the sky for some unanswered questions. It was then that she had figured something was wrong, that there were blasts heard though they weren't nearby it said enough.

She hadn't bothered looking back as she began stumbling her way onto her feet, trying to get home as fast as she could and to not collapse over the dizziness taking over her headspace and balance. 

 Seven minutes later she had stood at her home's front door, keys shaking anywhere but in the lock as she tried to put them in the barely there sloth. The second she had gotten in and the door slammed shut behind her back, she had stumbled away from the door eyes staring back at the wood as if it were some ominous creature, the walls her only reassurance of being inside the wooden building.