Part 2

{Past Tense}

Hermione looked up from her book when Ginny plopped down across the table in front of her.

"Are you alright?"

"Fine."

She loaded her plate with mashed potatoes and more ham than Hermione could imagine one person consuming. She'd met Ron, though, so she knew it was possible.

"What's going on? Is it something with you and Harry?"

Ginny flicked her hair behind her shoulder and made a face. "Why do you assume it's something about a boy? Can't I have anything else going on in my life."

"Oh. Yes. Sorry. What is it, then?"

"He hasn't made a decision about getting back together yet."

"Oh, Ginny, that's awful."

Ginny took a huge bite of ham and continued talking with her mouth full. "And it's not like I'd even be mad, you know, if he just ended it, but he keeps stringing me along because he's stupidly noble and the nicest fucking person ever and I can't take it anymore."

Hermione sat down her book carefully once she realised this would be a longer conversation that she'd thought.

"Why do you like him so much anyway?"

Ginny raised her eyebrows.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"I'm just shocked. I would've thought you'd harboured a Potter crush at one point or another and would understand."

Hermione felt her face go red, not because it was true, but because Ginny'd thought it in the first place.

An owl swooped down to them and landed right next to Hermione's plate.

"Hey, watch it!" Ginny yelled.

The owl hooted in apology and fluffed up its feathers until it looked impressive again. She recognised it belatedly as one of Pansy's and stroked its head.

She slipped the note out of a decorative ripped tied to the owl's foot and thanked it. It stole a piece of bacon off a tray in front of her and took off.

Ginny looked at her expectantly.

"What? Do I have something on my face?"

"Who's it from? A secret admirer? My brother?"

Hermione laughed and stopped trying to find a stray crumb. "You know there's nothing going on there."

"He doesn't think it's nothing."

Hermione let that sink in for a moment as she read the note.

Meet me in the place.
5 minutes.

She tried to fight a smile.

"It is a secret admirer! I knew it. What's it say?"

Hermione held the note out of Ginny's sight and tried to frown at her. "I have no idea what you're referring to."

"Oh, of course. My bad. You should stop by Pomfrey's later, I hear she's got a new potion for stopping that blush you've got going on."

Hermione picked up her bag from the bench with a hmmph and took off.

"I'd follow you if I really wanted to know!" Ginny shouted and Hermione didn't bother gracing her with a response, though she did finally let herself smile.

[PRESENT TENSE]

Hermione knocked on Parkinson's door and let herself in. It was her first day as a filing clerk and she couldn't have been happier.