Chapter 28

"Do you want to come to the park with us? Or maybe the aquarium?" Sofia asked.

She'd got Hisashi up and dressed already while I still lay in bed, crumbs from the packet of cookies I'd eaten last night scratchy against my skin. The tequila bottle taunted me from the nightstand. Empty. That would explain my headache.

I groaned and tried to sit up, my muscles protesting. "It's your day off. I can take care of him."

She shot me a look that said I was being ridiculous. "Don't be silly. You've had a terrible week, and I'm not leaving you on your own." The bed dipped as she perched on the edge. "You're not just my employer; you're my friend."

Her words made my heart swell. True friends were difficult to come by, and while I might have lost one this week, I'd gained another.

"I really appreciate that."

"Have you thought any more about the Lincoln situation?"

Only for the rest of yesterday and most of the night. "A bit."

"And? I really think you should talk to him."

Apart from a couple of phone calls, which Sofia intercepted, he'd kept his distance. Yes, Emmy had promised to make him stay away, but it still hurt that he hadn't tried to come and see me after that initial attempt. But then again, he knew Emmy, and she'd probably rigged up a minefield around the building to stop him from getting in.

"Maybe I'll call him later."

Sofia shook her head as if she didn't believe me and got up. "I'll make breakfast. Take a shower, and the food will be waiting for you when you get out."

Sometimes, she could be as bossy as Emmy, but I suppose I needed that. I lifted the quilt and gave myself a delicate sniff. Okay, I definitely needed that.

An hour later, I'd eaten pancakes with maple syrup and swallowed the handful of vitamins Sofia put by my plate

An hour later, I'd eaten pancakes with maple syrup and swallowed the handful of vitamins Sofia put by my plate. I didn't quite feel human yet, but I was less dead than the zombie-Akari I'd been earlier. Sofia finished loading the dishwasher and sat on the stool opposite me, Hisashi on her lap. He twined his fingers around the dark brown hair she habitually wore loose and waved his other hand at me.

"Feeling better?"

"A tiny bit," I admitted.

"Linc called again while you were in the shower."

"What did he say?"

"Just that he'll never stop loving you, and please would you talk to him. Akari, he sounded like a broken man."

Even Sofia, who'd listened to my tales of everything he'd done, seemed to feel a little sorry for him.

"What do you think I should do?"

"Hear him out, at least. If you don't like what he's got to say, you don't have to see him again, but at least you'd be able to make that decision with more information than you've got at the moment."