Chapter Three: Help From a Friend

Meanwhile, Riley slumped back into his chair behind the table full of copies of his book that apparently no one wanted to buy. Today was just not his day. First, no one wanted to buy his book, and now, his beloved Ferrari was gone. Stupid towing company.

Heaving a defeated sigh he began packing away his books - maybe him packing up would catch the eye of someone. Come on, who didn't love a good conspiracy theory?

"Aww, did I miss it? I was really hoping to get my copy signed by the author. The great Riley Poole himself."

Instantly, his day brightened. He looked up into the smiling face of Alex, who set her own copy of his book down on the table.

"I might be able to make an exception for my biggest fan," he said, adjusting his glasses. "Did you see the acknowledgments?"

"Yes, I did. That was very sweet. So how's it been? Busy?"

"Oh yeah, lineups out the door," he answered sarcastically, while clicking his pen and signing her book.

"I'm sorry Ri."

"Well, at least I know someone likes it." He wrote a little message - to my biggest fan, thanks for your support, love Riley - followed by his signature, closed the book, and handed it back to her. "Hey, this actually works out, you can help me carry some books."

"Yeah for sure. Where did you park?"

"Uh, well, funny story..."

--------------------------------

A little while later the two, both with their arms full of books, and in Riley's case a life-size cardboard cut-out of himself as well, arrived at Riley's apartment. Ben sat on the front steps reading while he waited for them.

"What happened to the Ferrari?" he asked when he saw them.

"Oh, you know, it's such a nice day we thought we'd walk. Well," Riley said with a forced smile. "Long story short - it got towed and I got slapped with a HUGE fine - plus interest."

"Yikes," Ben winced.

"But enough about me, what's new with you?"

"Well, my girlfriend kicked me out so I'm back to living with my dad, and our family killed President Lincoln," Ben finished. "But other than that, not much else is new."

Riley nodded. "Alright." He looked to Alex who nodded in confirmation.

Ben looked at his friend. "We need your help."

(Yay, Riley's back! ;) I was originally going to have him and Alex be an official couple from the start of this story, but then I finished watching the movie and I found the perfect part for that to happen later on, so I'm excited! Thanks so much for reading guys!)