In Love

When Gayatri entered the room, Naira had locked herself in the bathroom. That was Naira's way of asking people to leave her alone. Gayu respected that.
A few minutes later, Naira stepped out of the washroom, face splashed with water, her hair dripping and shirt drenched. She quickly changed her clothes and sat down to study.
'When is the CVS test?' Naira asked Gayu.
'There's a whole week Naira. Why don't you take the day off? Come, let's watch our favorite movie.' Gayu said.
But she knew Naira wouldn't agree.

Even though Kishen was her best friend, Gayu could see how much he was hurting Naira. But she was bound by her own promise. Naira had made her promise that she would never interfere between them even if it was just to make Kishen see sense, who to nobody's Surprise was unbelievably dense. He still kept thinking Naira was over thinking. Gayu was helpless and trapped between her two best friends and she was glad that at least Karthik was with Naira.
'No. I can't afford to fail more. I have to study. ' Naira said.
She opened her physiology textbook and began studying for the test. Physiology was her favourite subject but today even physiology couldn't divert her.
She kept remembering all the times when  she had put Kishen's needs ahead of her own, writing his assignments sacrificing her sleep while he blissfully watched movies. She remembered the initials days of the three musketeers when Gayu and Kishen always had misunderstandings and she was their mediator. She couldn't remember when it all started, but suddenly he was more concerned about Gayu being angry even when Naira was being visibly sad, they began going on trips without her and gave stupid reasons like she was sleeping. When he bought his new bike, Gayu was the first to be offered a Ride,and she wasn't even looked at. She thought Kishen was her best friend. All he was for her was a way to get through to Gayu. Everybody suspected that Gayu was dating Kishen because of the amount of time they spent together. Maybe that's why Naira was there, to cover up.
Naira's thoughts kept spiralling back into this vortex of sadness. She couldn't stop thinking about them. She wasn't able to study. She shut her book and went to sleep.
She kept tossing and turning, trying to find one position to sleep. Gayu silently watched Naira and simultaneously studied.
'ye rishtha Kya kehelata hai...' Naira's ringtone played. It was Kishen.
Naira answered.
'Hey Choti. Where are you?'
'In my room, why?' Naira asked. Her voice all congested now because of the crying.
'Is Gayu with you? She is not answering my call.' Kishen said.
The dam then opened. Again.
Naira woke up from her bed, gave the phone to Gayu and went back to sleep.
Gayu began to walk out of the room. Naira could hear Gayu yelling over the phone.
Naira had cried so much, That now she wasn't able to breathe.
She heard Gayu entering the room and  pretended to be asleep.
'Naira?'
She didn't reply.
Gayu said 'she's sleeping. You talk to her tomorrow and apologise. You're really stupid, you know!'
Naira didn't realise when she fell asleep. She woke up and checked to see the Time. It was 10 pm. A sudden feeling of doom swept over her. She wasn't able to breathe, there was a tightness in her chest and she could feel her heart pounding in her chest. She felt like she had run a mile when all she did was sleep.
'Gayu' Naira called out. You could hear her struggle breathing when she Just spoke.
Gayu looked up her from her book, startled to hear her voice, only to notice a heaving Naira. She was all pale
'Oh my god,Naira. What is happening to you! Are you okay?' Gayu asked.
'Palpitations. Can't breathe. I think I'm dying Gayu' Naira said.
'No! Don't say stuff like that. We need to take you to the emergency room. Can you walk?'
Naira nodded.
With the help of one of their classmates who had a car,they reached the hospital.
On the way Gayu called Karthik up and informed him about the condition.
'Is she okay?' Naira heard him screaming through the phone.
'not really. You come as soon as possible.'
Gayu Said.
On reaching the emergency room, They took Naira inside while Gayu waited outside. A few minutes later Karthik came running , in his shorts and sleeveless Tee, he must have been working out.
'what the hell happened?' he yelled at Gayu.
Nobody had ever seen Karthik this worried. He was clearly shocked by this incident, and wanted to know what went wrong.
'That Kishen..' Gayu started but she was interrupted by Karthik.
'Keep him away from her. ' Karthik said with clenched teeth. 'i don't care if he's your best friend. The next Time I see him, I will Punch him in his face. This has gone for far too long. Naira doesn't deserve to put up with that asshole. And if you've got any sense, you'd stay away from him too. But,Just keep him away from my Naira.'
Gayu was shocked. Karthik always spoke respectfully to her, but today he was raging. My Naira! Imagine the level of possessiveness.
Just then Kishen called Gayu.
'Kishen this is not a good time. I'm in  the hospital, I can't talk to you right now.' she said and cut the call immediately.
The doctor then called them inside. Karthik ran and stood next to Naira and held her hand.
'her heart rate is too high for the resting state and her blood pressure too. There might be something wrong with her thyroid. We have written a couple of tests for now. We'll know what's wrong after we see the reports tomorrow.' the doctor Said.
' you can leave after the sister gives you this injection. Also take this anxiety medication for five days. You will be fine ' The doctor said before walking out.
As soon as the Doctor went, Karthik held Naira in a bone crushingly tight embrace and refused to let go until the sister came in to give her the injection.
At that very moment, Kishen came running into the ER. he looked relieved when he saw Gayu standing upright and well. His face fell again when he saw Naira on the bed. Karthik held Naira's free hand reassuringly.
'Naira! What happened?' Kishen asked.
Naira couldn't look Kishen in the eye.
'They think it's anxiety.' Gayu said worriedly.
'Anxiety? See Naira, I told you, you over think.'
Naira could feel Karthik's grip on her hand loosen.
'Walk with me , Will you?' Karthik asked Kishen.
They walked out of the emergency room.
As soon as they were out, Karthik mustered all his rage and punched Kishen straight in the face. Kishen yelled in pain listening to which Gayu came running.
'What the...' she said and helped Kishen to get back into the ER. Now Kishen was the patient.
Karthik silently walked back to Naira and stood by her side as the sister brought in a couple of machines and began setting them up.
Naira was shocked seeing a hurt Kishen and asked Karthik what happened.
' he fell.' Karthik said.
The sister then asked Karthik to leave them alone for sometime as she took Naira's ECG.
Karthik was joined by Gayu in a few seconds.
She sat next to him and they were silent for about five minutes.
' you really care for her , don't you? Kishen is my Best Friend but Naira is too. He's nothing But an asshole to her. You did the Right thing.' Gayu said.
Karthik just nodded. Of course he did the Right thing. How dare Kishen do that to her? Repeatedly? Nobody could hurt his Naira like that. Seeing her struggling to breathe today made him realise that he loved her a lot. He couldn't see her pain. He loved her too much.
If anything would have happened to her today, he would have killed Kishen. He knew it.
But she was just his Best Friend. Why this rage? He didn't fear losing Nandini this much. Even when she stopped being friends with Naira and him, he didn't feel this intense emotion of fear. Fear of losing someone. This fear that was refusing to subside even when the doctor said she'll be okay. Was this how everybody felt for their best friend? Did he just love her or was he in love with her?
Karthik was shocked. He was unsure if his feelings were true or if they were just unsure.
His train of thought was interrupted by Naira who walked out of the ER. He ran to her and supported her.
As they went back to the hostel, he couldn't say a word. He kept stroking her hair while she slept on his shoulder. When they reached the hostel the warden allowed Karthik to enter as Naira was in a deep sleep and Gayu explained to her that her medication brought on such drowsiness.
Karthik entered their room and laid her down on her bed. He covered her with a blanket, made sure she was comfortable and instinctively kissed her on the forehead. That was when he was sure.

'You're in love with her , aren't you?' Gayu asked.
'Irrevocably' Karthik said, the ghost of a smile playing on his lips. He loved his cutie pie.
Precap: Tricky diagnostics.