twenty

"Dad." Louis felt someone shake his shoulder. "Dad, wake up." Niall tried again, successfully waking his father this time. "Papa sent me in with this." He handed Louis a small bag with a fever reducing medicine inside. 

"Where is he? And Liam?" 

"Outside in the car. Liam's throwing a fit since you're not coming." Niall explained, making Louis feel quite confused. "We were going to grandma's house, remember? But he thought it would be best if you two stayed home since Harry's sick. We'll bring back dinner for you though!" It was Tricia's birthday earlier that month, and the family were meant to be having dinner tonight as it seemed to be the only night everyone could make it...

The boy rushed outside again, leaving Louis alone in the silent house with a limp little boy on top of him. He had been throwing up nonstop since lunch but Louis had managed to rest his eyes for the lest thirty minutes as the boy was probably empty of things to throw up. 

He peeked inside the bag, spotting the medicine he had asked Zayn to pick up and a small pack of sweets with a little note that said, 'I love you' on it. Louis couldn't help but to smile because sometimes Zayn could be pretty cute. 

It wasn't long until the boy on his lap started to stir, soon starting to gag, making Louis place the sick bowl in front of him in record time. His suspicions were correct though, the boy was empty of things to throw up, just dry heaving over the bowl, only little amount of clear liquid falling into it. 

"I think you've emptied yourself." Louis chuckled, placing the bowl to the side so he could cuddle the boy better. Harry just whined, burying himself in Louis' embrace, his Elmo squished right in between them. "I know, it's not nice, is it?" The man cooed, causing the boy to whine as he shook his head. 

"Wish my Mummy was here." The boy whispered sadly, making the older man tighten his hold on the boy, never wanting to let him go. The boy was far too precious to have gone through everything he had, and Louis wanted to make sure he had only the best from now on. 

"She's still watching over you, darling. She'll never be too far away." He rocked the boy gently, the TV was turned on low volume as some sesame street song played in the background and it was enough to put the boy right back to sleep. 

The other three family members returned a few hours later and Louis hadn't moved an inch, but was thankful when Zayn offered to carry the boy to bed as Louis body felt numb after having the boy lay on top of him all day. The man did it skilfully, the boy didn't even stir in his arm. 

"How was dinner with your mum? I'm sorry I wasn't there." 

"It was great. She didn't mind Lou, she just asked how Harry was. How was he, by the way?" 

"Slept most of the day after we got home, threw up a fair amount of times but it was over soon as he hasn't really eaten anything." Louis got rid of his shirt before cuddling with his warm husband. 

"What about the appointment? How did it go?" 

"Good. It was the first one so I wasn't really expecting much, but he has another appointment in a couple of weeks." 

"So she didn't diagnose anything?" 

"No. That's not how it works Zee, but I'm gonna talk to her before the next appointment, state our concerns and such, but all in all I think today's appointment was good for him."

- - -

Luckily it was just a twenty-four hour bug that Harry had caught so it wasn't too bad, just an overly cuddly boy for a day or two. Unfortunately, both Niall and Liam managed to catch it as well but luckily by Monday morning everything was back to the normal routine.