Mind of Mine

~In this mind of mine, are many demons. I'm faced with a battle I cannot win, someone please help me...if you can~ Anonymous.

His eyes held hers for only a second before the car zoomed off. He then walked into the building and after a few minutes, he was in his office.

It was already late, there were barely any workers left in the building. He sat in his seat and soon enough he was lost in his thoughts as he stared dazed at the documents stacked on his desk.

He felt numb.

He wanted, no, he needed to feel something, anything at all.

He hated feeling this emptiness inside of him and he desperately needed something to fill that endless void he always felt.

He wanted a distraction but he found none. He placed his head in his palms and closed his eyes in silent frustration.

Suddenly, a pair of dark brown eyes appeared in his mind, accompanied by a voice, her voice. He opened his eyes.

'Why her though?'

That morning, she had asked him if he was hungry. Admittedly, the question had caught him off guard and in no little way surprised him.

The gesture affected him so much that he felt obligated to give her something in return which presented itself as free lunch meals for as long as she worked for the company.

And the reason it affected him so much was that apparently, he was nursing a severe illness that demanded he took his drugs on time. Strict adherence to the prescription was so important that missing just one could result in severe health repercussions.

That morning, he had been so busy he had forgotten to eat and she asking him reminded him of his med he was yet to take.

Other than that he felt neutral towards her just like how he felt towards every one of his employees.

Not because he didn't want to feel but simply because he couldn't and that's the reason for the emptiness he always felt. He drowned in it.

He liked spending time with the children because they made him feel at ease, even if it was a little bit. They reminded him of himself, of his childhood.

Then, as light as a fleeting thought, he heard her voice, her words floated unhindered into his head.

"Jesus is the only begotten son of God..."

"He is the way, the truth and life..."

As quickly as those words had wormed into his head, they were locked out.

His lips curved slightly into a humourless smile. He had watched her closely as she played with the kids and told them that particular story that supposedly illustrated the story of her saviour.

It was truly a wonder how much people could be so closed-minded.

A smart woman, yes, but he was starting to wonder if having someone so close-minded as a personal assistant was such a good idea.

.
.
.
.
Author's note: Don't forget to vote and comment 😘

Bittersweetजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें