The Train

Nina

Nina wasn't sure what to do. What an understatement. She was stuck in a weird  world with no idea where her friends were. She'd been picked for something, and didn't know what. From the other "Tribute's" reaction, Nina suspected that it wasn't pleasant. As far as she could tell, she had been selected for The Hunger Games. These involved a boy and a girl from each district (Which Nina thought was like a city) competing for something. There were twelve districts and The Capitol, which didn't have to give tributes, for some reason. Now Nina was on what they called a train, heading to The Capitol. She supposed the only thing she could do was wait, so she might as well eat. Considering the luxury of the train, there was probably some really good food.

In the section dedicated to food, she met the other tribute. He was very thin, with hollowed cheeks, and about fifty. He was gobbling down the food in the most disgusting way (And that was Nina's opinion), as if he had never seen so much food before and would never see it again. Considering his appearance, he was probably correct. She grabbed a plate, then started stacking waffles onto it. At least here was something she knew about. Since using her new power, her appetite had reappeared with full force. Folding one in half, she stuffed it into her mouth and sidled up to him.

"Hi", she mumbled through the waffle. "Can you tell me what you know about the Hunger Games? My Mother is so protective, and she wouldn't tell me about them. II know the basics, of course, but I really need your help if I have any chance." The man just stared at her. Just Nina's luck. The person she was paired with was gross, unhelpful and stupid. She missed Matthias. Sadness overwhelmed her. She may not even see him again. Any of the others. And that was unbearable. Even Kaz had become a part of her life... Finally the man sighed.

"Ok, a boy and a girl from each district, stuck in an arena, only one comes out alive, blah blah blah. You'll know that. This is all because of an uprising years ago. You know what my advice for you would be? Find somewhere to hide. This isn't for little girls, and you don't stand a chance."

Still angry, Nina brushed furiously at her hair. Little girl. She'd show him. She'd show him and Zoya and Brum and every other person who'd called her little. Who'd called her young or ignorant or weak. Against the odds, she'd survive these games, because that's what they did. They defied the odds. And then she'd find a way home. Nina just had to work out how.