Twenty-Two.

The second I knocked on the Wilsons' front door, Ginger began barking ferociously. Ginger is their old, chubby dog who acts like he's the toughest creature in the world, when he's really the sweetest thing.

Mrs. Wilson answered the door. When she saw me, her face went blank, and she just stood there in her perfectly-ironed khakis and blouse. Ginger poked her head between her white shoes, shooting me a toothy grin. I smiled at him, before directing my attention to Lilly's mother.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice was quiet, not stern. If anything, that made it worse. I just felt like plopping onto the ground and crying.

Instead, I answered her. "I'm here to see Lilly."

Her hand, which was still gripping the doorknob, twitched. I hoped she wouldn't slam the door in my face, or I really would lose it.

"I told you, you can't come here."

I didn't want to be too harsh; I'm always polite with her, and she likes me the most out of all of her daughter's friends.

"But I have to," I said flatly, hoping I didn't offend her.

"And why is that?" Her voice rose just a bit.

I wrung my hands. "I just...I just have to, okay? So please. Just for a minute."

We continued looking at each other for about thirty seconds, before she sighed deeply and dropped her hand from the doorknob.

"Just for a minute. No longer."

I let out the hugest sigh of relief and followed her into the living room and up the stairs. Ginger followed us, yapping contendedly.

When we reached Lilly's bedroom door, Mrs. Wilson knocked, and we waited for a few seconds.

"Come in."

I was shocked to hear how fragile Lilly's voice was.

Mrs. Wilson opened the door slowly and stepped into the room.

"Someone's here to see you," she told her daughter carefully.

"Who?" came Lilly's voice.

"Isabelle."

It was silent.

"Tell her to leave," she replied flatly. It broke my heart.

I left before any more damage could be done.

The whole walk home, I cried. I didn't try to stop the tears from coming. I didn't even wipe them away.