Chapter [1]

~^~

Text Copyright © K.L.Lord ™ 2017.

The moral right of the author has been asserted. All rights reserved. This story is published subject to the condition that it shall not be reproduced or re-transmitted in whole or in part, in any manner, without the written consent of the copyright holder, and any infringement of this is a violation of copyright law.

 This story is published subject to the condition that it shall not be reproduced or re-transmitted in whole or in part, in any manner, without the written consent of the copyright holder, and any infringement of this is a violation of copyright law

Caleb

Caleb

The ten-second countdown had begun.

“Ten . . . nine . . . eight . . . seven . . . six . . . five. . . four . . . three. . . two. . . one. Happy birthday, Caleb!” my guests chanted in unison.

The ballroom was filled with celebratory cheers. Then, moments later, the mini-orchestra resumed playing.

My mother had been planning this occasion ever since I was born. I wasn’t keen on parties. It was an excuse for people to freeload and snoop around our house. When I became Alpha, I intended to ban any such functions.

“Caleb, do you see her? Have you felt drawn to anyone yet?” Aaron asked.

Aaron, my comical best friend, was standing around trying to look all sophisticated with his champagne glass like James Bond, dressed in his black Tux, white shirt, and bow tie. He glanced over his shoulder at a group of giggling girls while running a hand through his dark-blond hair, his blue eyes sparkling with a hint of mischief.

I rolled my eyes. “No, not yet,” I replied, managing a strained smile.

Aaron clapped me on the back. “Don’t worry, man, she’ll be here. I mean, your mate has to be someone from around here, right? Our mates have all been from our town,” he attempted to reassure me, despite the lingering doubt evident in his voice.

I gulped down the champagne that they had given me to toast with. I hated the sweet effervescent taste on my tongue, but at that moment, I just needed something to take the edge off.