Selfish

You say that she doesn't care.

That she skips practice because she wants to.

That she complains about injuries far less painful than yours.

That she doesn't even try and somehow she is the coach's pet.

That she is selfish.

Well you couldn't be more wrong.

The thing is: she cares too much.

She misses practice because she is having a panic attack over if the coach is going to ride her again, if her teammates are going to roll their eyes behind her back like she suspects they do, if she will add another bruise or burn or concussion to her collection.

She complains about injuries because she doesn't know how to carry conversations. It is the only relatable thing she can think of.

She hates being the coach's pet. She hates being the star athlete. She hates all the attention. She would gladly give it to someone else.

Selfish? Maybe. She thinks too much about what others think about her, she thinks too much about how the coach affects her, and she doesn't realize everyone goes through the same thing too. So sure: she's selfish.

But so are you. And the rest of her team.

She cries in the locker room.

She sleeps in class.

She takes three pills just to be able to practice without panicking.

She is failing a class and others aren't far behind.

She can't read because she's so stressed.

She claws at her arm to bring the pain. The pain that stop the thoughts from going going going through her mind.

She leaves a long red mark on her wrist from where she scratched the skin off. It stings, but she doesn't dress it. If she whacks it on something, she deserves it.

It was out for the world to see.

If you were paying attention you would have known.

But you were being selfish just as she was.

You missed a crucial part of her, though: she's not ok.