feathertail x tawnypelt

{headcanon in which feathertail and tawnypelt are in a homoromantic relationship; feathertaIl being pansexual and tawnypelt being bisexual}

   Soft dawn light poured through the entrance of the makeshift bramble bush den, causing a sleek-pelted tabby she-cat to raise her head and blearily blink away sleep. She spotted a familiar calico she-cat standing -- or rather, sitting -- guard, her back to Feathertail. The RiverClan warrior pushed herself agilely onto her feet without the slightest noise or rustle of the nests beside her. Crowpaw was curled up, his soft black tail curled protectively over his pale pink nose, snoring loudly, while Stormfur lay on Feathertail's other side, eyes closed gently and his flank rising rhythmically as he slept peacefully, undisturbed by his sister's rapid movements.

   Feathertail stole a quick glance over at the nearby bramble bush where Squirrelpaw and Brambleclaw had made their nests, one left empty near the entrance, meant for Tawnypelt, Feathertail guessed. She wove her way through the small dips and curves of the short, dewy grass underpaw towards Tawnypelt's broad, still frame and her hunched shoulders. "Hi," she mewed simply, peeking around the calico's side to see her jolt upright in surprise, splotched coat bristling wildly and her eyes widening with shock. She relaxed as she recognized the RiverClan cat and gave a cool reply of, "Hello." She retained her calm yet guarded position, sitting with her tail curled around her white-splashed forepaws, her calm greenish-amber eyes glowing softly, focused on the horizon where the sun was slowly rising across the mostly orange, yet violet-streaked sky.

   "It's gorgeous," she breathed aloud, then swiftly withdrew, licking her chest fur with quick, bashful strokes at the two words she randomly and loudly blurted out. Tawnypelt must think she was a socially awkward mouse-brain by now. But to her surprise, the ShadowClan molly offered her a pearly smile, tiny bits of warmth in her hazel-flecked gaze. "Yes, it truly is. We never see such pretty skies over in ShadowClan..." Her voice trailed off faintly and she settled back in her original position. Feathertail nodded briefly in agreement. "Well, we barely see them over in RiverClan. None of us really wake up early enough." Again, she shuffled her paws nervously at the pretty molly's response to her comment that likely would've caused Leopardstar to bat at her ears if she had heard her admit it.

   Tawnypelt snorted lightly and Feathertail felt her heart give a tiny flutter. "I bet WindClan has the best view. They practically live in the sky, sleeping outside of any dens in an open camp, right under the starry night sky when they drift asleep, and then the beautiful dawn sky when they awake. I wonder, does Crowpaw tell you of the magnificent sights in WindClan's territory?" Tawnypelt shot her a teasing look through a gaze glinting with mischief and playfulness.

   Feathertail shyly ducked her head, pale, fluffy cheeks reddening instantly as she realized what Tawnypelt was insinuating. "Well, he never has. We're just friends, we've never really talked about one another's Clans or territories. He's an interesting, prickly little thing and has the sharpest tongue ever, I swear to StarClan," the RiverClan cat laughed softly to herself, though slight regret burned her feather-soft, tufted ears as she recognized how she was starting to gossip about her close friend beside his back just to playfully conversate with a she-cat she liked. Wait a minute, did she actually like Tawnypelt? As in, more than a friend? More than she liked Crowpaw? Different from her friendship with him?

  The thought set her fur on end and her fuzzy neck fur bristling with confusion and worry. "Are you okay?" Tawnypelt was gazing at her with concern lacing her round, widened eyes. "Oh, yes, I just remembered I.. have something to do.." Feathertail nodded and quickly spun around to leave. "Very well. See you later, Feathertail," the ShadowClan molly called calmly after her. Feathertail wondered if she was just imagining the fond purr resonating from Tawnypelt's throat as she bid her goodbye.