The Man In The Fields Ritual

The Man In The Field bears some similarities to a couple of other games we've looked at in previous installments of : Like , you have a task to complete after you perform the summoning (in this case, closing everything in your house that could possibly open), and like , you'll have to watch your back while you do it (here, you'll meet the Man in the Fields if you're not careful). But while the stakes for the Man in the Fields are roughly as high as they are for these two previous rituals, there's also much more to gain; for that reason alone, the Man in the Fields ritual might be very attractive to some.

Although the game's introduction notes that it has been "" and "originates from the British Isles during the Middle Ages," I'm somewhat skeptical of this claim; I suspect that, like many of the other games and rituals floating around out there on the internet, it's actually an invention of the digital age, an internet urban legend aged up to lend it a little more gravity. However, it is true that stretching back to ancient times — so perhaps there's something at the root of this ritual after all. Of course, it's also true that we have little to no proof that these wicker men were used as tools for human sacrifice — the idea of them being used as such may have been in an attempt to dehumanize his enemies — but... still.

That scarecrow in your backyard?

It's not a scarecrow.

As always, play at your own risk.

Players:

1 principal.

Requirements:

A house with a back garden or backyard. Inside the house should be at least one room that has only one door. Ideally this room should be empty, and ideally, the sole door should have a lock.

A non-electric source of illumination. 

1 candle or lantern works well, as long as you have a supply of matches or a lighter.

1 crucifix.

1 analog watch or clock. 

Do not use a cell phone. It won't work.

Instructions:

The Invitation:

Begin after sunset, but before midnight. How much time you leave yourself is up to you, but it is not recommended that you begin less than one hour before midnight.
See also: Additional Notes.

1) Clear the house and backyard of other people. 

2) Make sure you have your crucifix on your person.

3) Light your candle or lantern.Enter the backyard and turn to face the house. 

4) Repeat the following phrase seven times: 

"But who will scare the crows away?"

5) After the seventh repetition, listen closely.

» If you hear nothing: The summoning has failed; do not proceed. Although there are no known negative consequences for simply returning to your house, it is recommended that you leave the premises immediately. 

Do not return until after 6am.

» If you hear a voice behind you (or perhaps in your own head): The summoning has succeeded; you may proceed. 

»The voice will say, 

"That's not your biggest problem." 

»Heed its warning.