Four- Part 1

These men have never met, but one thing will bring them together. War. And war is made up of four things: Love, Ignorance, Hope and Power.

Love for the people and places we want to protect.

Ignorance of the world around and how it needs to be run.

Hope for a better life afterwards.

And the want for power that overwhelms all reason.

Frank

London, England, 29th June 1914

There was a shooting in Sarajevo yesterday. It's been all over the papers. Some Archduke and his wife. Poor sod. Anyway, Austria-Hungary are relatively upset as you'd imagine. Mary says he was the equivalent of our King as the figurehead of the country, but, even though you shouldn't speak ill of the deceased, it seems mighty foolish to have gone and gotten himself shot. George V is cleverer than that.

Nevertheless, I'm sure it won't bother us too much over here. The continent can do as they please, if they leave me in peace to enjoy my wife and whiskey.

Mary's been in a bit of discomfort recently with the baby and it seems to be making her cry all the time. She is very emotional- especially today. The assassination is upsetting her greatly, and I ask why. She tells me to think of his poor children orphaned by this attack. I look at her blankly, and she runs upstairs claiming I have no heart. Women!

Vasily

Sremska Mitrovika Prison, Serbia, 29th June 1914

I sit up in my cell. There is commotion outside. I press my ear against the door and with the little Serbian I know, manage to make out what has happened. Archduke Ferdinand has been shot. The memory of a gunshot echoes in my head and I see my brother fall. I shake my head angrily and strain to hear more.

I immediately know Serbia did it. The Black Hand Gang. Must be. I used to be cell mates with a former Black Hand intelligence officer before I was transferred. I know what they are like. I know what they are capable of. I don't know what will happen now. Though Germany will surely get involved, if the alliances are still in place of course. I can't remember who is allied with who. It's been so long since I was free to read what I liked. Maybe I will get to go home. Murderer I may be, and as much as I hate the Tsar and the poverty ignores, I wish to go back to the snowy mountains of Russia.

Bruno

French Border, France, 29th June 1914

The farm is thriving in the heat. We are so lucky to live here. It's a simple life, but like my mother always said, a simple life is best for simple people.

Marie brings me the paper and I sit with my breakfast to read it. There's been a spot of bother in Austria-Hungary. An Archduke has been killed.

"An Archduke?" Marie says. "Do you think he is important dear?"

"No, I should think not," I say "important people don't put themselves in harm's way my love. No, I would imagine he is another one of those puppet politicians.

"You don't think it will affect us here do you?"

"My love, why would the goings on in Austria-Hungary reach us in France?"

She plants a kiss on my cheek, and I ruffle her curly, red hair.

"Oh Bruno, you are so clever!" I'm not, and truly, I have no idea what this will mean for us, but Sarajevo is so far away. I'm sure it will all blow over.

Rolf

Berlin, Germany, 29th June 1914

I sit with the radio next to me and listen to the news reports. Archduke Franz Ferdinand has been shot and killed in Sarajevo on the orders of Serbia. We will undoubtedly back Austria-Hungary if they decide to declare war. War is a necessary evil. And not even that evil if you fight for the greatest empire in the world. Under Kaiser Wilhelm II, we will do great and righteous things. If we back Austria-Hungary, war will come. But I say let it. Our nation will expand its reach and we will have Austria-Hungary in the palm of our hand, so to speak, so grateful they will be for our support. I stand and pace the small living room and say out loud "I wish I could make the decisions."