Cards

Unedited.

Chapter Fourteen - Cards.

Chapter Fourteen.

The gardens were dimly lit.

I heard the slap of my shoes off the ground barely, above the roaring in my ears. The air was dewy, the grass wet and squishy. Fairy lights hung in strings along well-groomed trees, where the distance shadows revealed the outline of a maze. The party was a twisted, muted sound behind me where laughter rose in a pitch along with the music.

I pulled to a sudden stop, shuddering with the remaining dregs of fright. I began to kick off my shoes, digging my toes into the wet grass. Earth meant good. No stone.

With shaking hands, I ran my fingers through my hair and tugged at the short ends. I felt the sharp sting of my hair being pulled at the roots and the pain helped to ground me and help centre my thoughts on here and now.

"You're such a fool, Neely." I growled to myself.

Was I losing it? My control was something I liked to keep carefully bound, in organised plates and coloured arranged everything.

A prickle ran down my back and all my senses, my alertness flared up again. Muscles tied tight as I searched the gloom warily. The corners were the light couldn't reach. There was an unexplainable feeling washing over me as if there were eyes on me. Not eyes that meant comfort or meant me no harm, but as if there was some thing's lecherous gaze resting on me.

Slowly, without moving my eyes from the shadows, I rolled up my dress to be able to pull out the blade strapped to my leg which had been hidden by the swish of fabric. I could tell that there was something there, hiding where my eyes couldn't see. Or was it my imagination being spooked by the simplest of things.

"Human."

I blinked as air rushed down from above. Wings darker than the night itself, folded in as Nethore landed in the garden. A large, barbed tail swung and clashed against a statue, shattering it into pieces. Claws splayed on the ground, gouging perfectly cut grass.

"Technically, you aren't allowed in here."

He roughly nudged my shoulder before turning his attention to the shadows. "Technically Nethore is supposed be extinct."

"Clearly not." I said fondly.

Nethore curled around me, a leg pressed against my side as someone came to join me in the garden. I put a hand on the warm scales of his leg, partially to calm him and then me.

"So, this is him," Hale said softly.

Quickly realising that this was not an enemy, and instead someone to come and admire him, Nethore's threatening stance broke and he stood tall, proudly showing his broad, plated chest. Hale could see up the thick length of his neck, but Ne's head was titled down just enough to give the vampire an impervious look from dark blue eyes.

Personally, I thought he was very handsome but maybe I was a little biased.

Hale inclined his head respectfully to Nethore and after Ne quickly learned from me that it was a sign of respect, he was slightly mollified. Great, fiery steamed breath heaved from his plated chest, heating the chilly evening air.

Slowly, with his eyes never leaving Nethore's, Hale took a step forward. There was a wondrous curiosity in his expression, like a child seeing an idol for the first time. He moved across the grass without making a sound and Nethore dipped his head down as his curiosity grew.