The Veil

'Stop,being stupid'

'I'm not stupid. I'm just different.'

She went off,in a huff. I don't care what she says, she is just a pea-brained,dopey........ Whatever, she's my best friend, Saanvi. Too much for a best friend, right. She was good before, but after I got a bit popular in school, she became a bit aggressive. Like, I got a few seniors as friends, so whenever we passed each others in the corridors or balconies, I used to wave at them. They waved back. I think having seniors as our friends were pretty cool, but she certainly doesn't think so. She says I've lost my character, since coming to high school. I got really furious at that utterance. See, here she was the one who made an inappropriate comment, so she must be the one coming to apologize. But, world turned topsy-turvy. And, after I begged and pleaded, she finally talked to me, but on one condition... She told me that I had to be original. I didn't know what she meant, so I told okay. I don't know what she meant still now. So, let me tell you what type of girl I am, not according to Saanvi, but according to me and what other people except her have told me. According to others, I am a very humorous person, who makes witty remarks and a beautiful girl. My thoughts intertwine with them, really. But, Saanvi's thoughts are like they're from another dimension, really. She says I was never like this before. She says, I am just an attention-seeking freak now. But before, I was something practically different. I asked her what I was like before . Her reply was, ' I don't know. But, I hate you now.' She walks out on me. If there is any justice in this world, I don't have any. In a few days, we'll be having a get-together in our school. It's going to be great. I have even chose the dress for it. A blue crochet top, distressed jeans and pumps. I loved that. But, Saanvi's never going to say it's okay. She will, probably come in any traditional wear and she never ever approves of revealing dresses.

The day opened with rain clouds. I prayed that it wouldn't rain as it may spoil our plans. My mother and father had gone out on a expedition. So, I'm here with my grandmother. At 10, Saanvi came. She was wearing a tunic,blue jeans, sneakers and her hair in a ponytail. I was already dressed in my attire, my hair loose on my shoulders. The moment she saw my dress, her face changed to disgust. She didn't say a word and entered. She sat on my bed, cross- legged, I kept adjusting my straps, she saw me like I was a pathetic fool. 'What?', I snapped. 'You look like a buffalo.',she said.

'What??'

'You heard me.'

One thing about Saanvi, is that she is domineering. Officious. I knew, we were at the start of a fight. I said a swear word at her, she just came over and slapped me. I held my cheek and tears, not of pain, but of rage formed in my eyes. 'What do you ever want, Saanvi??' She sat on the ground,her head buried in her hands and I heard sobbing sounds. Fairly speaking, I must be the one to cry. 'Don't feign.What do you want? Why are you correcting me alwa-'

' I want you to be... you.'

'Me?'

'Yeah.', she said. I didn't expect this. 'I am...Me!!!' 'No, you're not.'

I didn't know what to say there. Then, she said things which have changed my life.

'See, let's first take school. What do you do there??' 'Study?' She smirked at this, 'Only studying??? What else??' I shrugged, 'You are yearning for being the center of attention.' 'I don't know what's wrong in that. And, mainly this will help me in my future goals of being popular and famous through the talent I have through music'. She nodded and said, 'Yes. It will help, but you're searching for that in all the wrong places.And, you are entertaining the others, through the medium of lunacy and toxic levels of stupidity'

'Toxic levels of stupidity?', I repeated. She continued like she hadn't heard me interrupt. 'Who are your role models in singing?' 'Justin Bieber.'

'Great. So, he is a very famous singer, isn't he??' 'Yes. And a musician, as well' I was surprised at how she couldn't know such an obvious thing. But, she's sometimes totally clueless.'Let's set apart Bieber now. What methods do you use to become popular in school?' 'Methods??' 'Say it.', she said darkly. 'Er- I make funny comments and that is making people like me. And,because of that, I get a lot of friends.And-' 'Stop!'

I faltered,'You know what people call you?' 'Humorous?' 'Don't use the formal term.' ' Kay.Mad,loony' 'Mad... The true word is, psychopathic'

'PSYCHOPATHIC?', I bellowed.' Don't shout.', she said, her voice dangerously calm. ' These people who laugh at your witty remarks, will leave you one day.Everyone is a passing cloud. Including me. At one point of your life, their laughter will die and you will be left in the dark, groping for light. They will reach heights. You'll be left at the end of the ladder. People will step over you. Understand, you are being intentionally good, mad and whatever you are in every different place you are there. Because of that, you have lost yourselves truly. You've lost yourselves. Completely. But, everyone has a chance and yours will be waiting for you. Appreciate your originality. Those, who are with you, even without your mask are the true people and people who really love you. Unravel the veil you're wearing and see beyond.'

With these words, she went.

I stood before the mirror, and asked this question, 'Who are you? Who are you really?