Chapter 3

"Who w-was that," I asked weakly as the men quickly retreated and could be heard thundering down the stairs.

"Victor Aldertree, new head of the Institute," Isabelle answered, brushing it off before rushing over to my side and dropping to her knees. "What have they done to you?" She whispered.

Suddenly Magnus strode over, "She doesn't have much time," He declared, getting ready to summon his healing powers.

"Wait what about Jace?" Clary objected.

Alec spun on his heel and crossed the room in a split second. "Are you serious? Incase you hadn't noticed, your sister - my amortai, is dying. We will help Jace, but I swear to God if you don't keep your mouth shut right now I will-"

"Alec, enough, Samara needs you right now - we'll deal with Clary later," Isabelle pleaded, knowing that I needed him more than ever at the moment.

Alec returned to my side instantly, taking hold of one of my hands with both of his large ones.

"All right, Isabelle, you may want to stand back," Magnus advised. He looked like he was about to say the same to Alec but the eldest Lightwood glared up at him.

"Not a chance," He challenged.

Magnus held his hands up in defence. "You need to take that off her though," He said, pointing to Luke's now stained jacket. 

Alec ever so carefully removed the item. Once it was gone, and he saw the rest of my bloodied body, a flash of pain folded into his features. He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it as tears threatened to spill from his piercing blue eyes. I heard a sharp intake of breath from both Magnus and Isabelle, who hadn't yet seen the extent of my injuries, while Luke and Clary watched on sadly.

I saw Magnus give me an apologetic look of warning before a blue glow erupted from his hands. He held them out over me and sheer agony surged through every fibre of my body.

I let out a blood-curdling scream as it felt like an imaginary fire was burning me, and felt Alec's grip on my hand tighten. I felt my shattered elbow rejoin itself and my dislocated knee realign, jamming back into position. I howled again as I felt the gash from the whip close up on my stomach, feeling like somebody was dragging a white hot knife over it. My cries filled the room, as did Magnus' apologies.

Suddenly, the magic stopped and Magnus and Alec were turning me over so the warlock had access to my mangled back.

A distressed cry left Isabelle at the view of my lashed back, and a strangled sob escaped my amortai. My relief was short lived as I heard Magnus click his fingers a second time, summoning his magic, and I braced myself. My body convulsed as the pain hit me again - now that I had regained movement in my arms and legs they reacted reflexively. 

"Hold her down!" Magnus shouted over my curses. Luke, Isabelle and Clary ran over, each taking a limb and soon both my arms and both of my legs were pinned down, though I still thrashed against my restraints. 

Finally, the magic subsided and the pain relinquished. I felt the others slowly and hesitantly let me go before Magnus and Alec - who was still perched on the side of the makeshift bed - gently turned me over again. I saw Alec's eyes shining with fear, worry and tears. He waited, on edge, for me to do something, anything that would indicate that I was okay. I reached out and took his hand with a small smile, and relief flooded his face.

He pulled me into his arms again, letting his tears fall. I felt a hand on my back and withdrew from Alec enough to see Isabelle crouching next to us, her mouth residing in an anxious smile. I wrapped one of my arms around her and tugged her into a hug too.

When I let her go, I turned to Magnus, "Thank you."

He smiled, "It's about time one of us saved your life don't you think?" I laughed as Luke also came over to give me a hug. 

"Are you um, okay?" Clary asked from back on the other side of the room.

I rolled my eyes at her, "Spectacular." She looked at her feet, unsure of what else to say.

"I would think it unwise to take her back to the institute tonight," Magnus said to Alec. "What with Aldertree there and the inevitable grilling you'll all receive." The warlock gestured down the hall. "She is more than welcome to stay in my spare room," He offered, "You too can of course stay with her," He added to him, knowing full well Alec wasn't going to leave my side.

"We'll head back to the institute then," Isabelle said, "We'll inform Aldertree and make sure he doesn't come knocking." Alec nodded at his sister and she gave us both another quick hug. "I'll see you tomorrow."

She took Clary's arm and guided my sister from the room. Luke thanked Magnus for his help and followed the girls out.

Alec picked me up carefully and carried me down the hall, into the spare room, and laid me down on the soft mattress. He took off his t-shirt and gave it to me to slip on, covering up my bare top half. He also helped me slide off my tattered jeans, as his shirt was large enough to reach my thighs. We were both well past the point of bothering to be embarrassed about it, knowing that I couldn't do it myself. Alec pulled back the covers of the double bed and helped me climb under them, but before he joined me, he ducked out into the hallway and I heard him talking to Magnus.

"I can't thank you enough," He said, "I don't know what I would do without her. I- I- just, thank you."

"For that girl, I would do anything," Magnus replied, "She's saved my life, and many other warlocks, more times than I probably care to admit and I owe her everything."

Alec closed the door behind him when he returned, walking round to the other side of the bed and sliding in. I curled into his side, resting my head on his chest, and he wrapped his arms around me, kissing the top of my head.

"I thought I was going to lose you," He murmured. I could still hear the distress that echoed through his tone, "On every mission I've ever been on - in twenty years of my life, I've never felt that type of fear, ever. Not knowing if you were alive or dead - I was terrified. And then today, seeing you like that-"

I looked up at him, lifting my hand and running my thumb over his cheek soothingly. "It's okay, I'm here now and that's what matters."

He rested his own hand over mine, holding it to his cheek before kissing my palm. I brushed back his messy hair from his face and simply admired him for a minute, not quite believing myself that I was back here and with him again.

He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss on my lips, pulling me even closer to him. I laid my head back down on his chest and let him run his hand up and down my back, knowing it was relaxing for him. I rubbed my thumb in little circles on his torso; enjoying the warmth he was providing me.

He kissed the top of my head again and mumbled, "I love you."

I placed a kiss of my own on his chest. "I love you too Alec," I whispered, before falling into my first peaceful sleep in days.

-

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Poor Sam, but also poor Alec! He's so sweet though, I just, I want one 😩 Sorry that it's so short! I'm currently at the airport on my way to Indonesia, using the free wifi to upload this before I get on my flight because idk how long it will be before I have wifi once I'm there!!

Make sure to vote and comment and all that shazam!

Until next time my lovelies ❤️

NOS xx