10

Suggested Song: Liability- Lorde

the sound of silence echoes throughout my ears as my body stirs in the bed im currently in. my eyes slowly open to the lavender walls of the room i moved in a couple days ago.  the room is completely dark, besides a light in the hallway. my body feels clammy under the sheets.  im wearing long grey sweats and an oversized long-sleeved shirt.  my entire body aches as i attempt to move around on the bed. 

i blink hard before remembering the past nights events, and shiver at the thought of the cold water.  my leg is the one body part that aches the most.  i think it's saturday, but my mind is cloudy. 

i can't remember anything last night after climbing the walls of the well. somehow, i ended up back into bed with no questions asked. i reach for my phone, which reveals it is in fact saturday.  it's 6:30 am.  i attempt to move out of my bed, but my leg says other wise. using my strongest arm, i pull up one leg of my sweats, which reveals large gauze wrapped around my thigh. 

whoever pulled the pencil out of my leg did a good job.  i pull myself up, feeling the soreness of my body. i stumble down the hallway to the bathroom by holding onto the walls. the house is quiet, so i try to take slow steps. scott's door is closed. inside the bathroom i stare at my face in the mirror. hair sticks to my forehead, and my face shows a pale pink shade.

i bend down and splash water onto my face. it cools down my body temperature, and i finally don't feel like im overheating. a knock sounds on the door, and i jump at the sound at first. i dry my face, and slowly open the door. not surprisingly, scott mccall is standing, fully clothed with his lips in a straight line.

"how are you?" he asks.

"what happened? who pulled the pencil out of my leg? is liam okay? where's my mom?" the questions come out in a matter of seconds.

"we took you to the hospital where my mom took the pencil out of your leg. liam is fine, and your mom is downstairs," he stops and looks down the hallway and whispers, "my mom told her that you fell at school and a pencil went into your leg.  as for the being missing all day, i said that you joined a club that goes on for awhile."

i listen as scott feeds me the information that i have been missing.  i nod when he's finished, and he waits for me to say something.  when i don't, he continues:

"i have to go take the PSAT's so please stay here while im gone.  i don't know when I'll be back, but cam stay here."

he walks away, and i can hear him as he greets my mom in the kitchen.  i brush my teeth while i think about liam and how he must be feeling.  as always, stiles' speech echoes in my brain.  then, i force the knots in my hair out with a brush. 

"CAMERON?" my mom yells. 

"UPSTAIRS!" i scream back. 

she comes up with a smile.  i attempt to smile back as i continue to tear out my hair by brushing it.  "let me help," she insists.  i hand her the brush and she starts to gently work it through the knots. 

"how are you?" she asks with her eyes concentrated on my hair.

"im okay, my leg hurts a bit."

"melissa tells me that you've been getting involved at school," she says suspiciously.

"yes, i've met a few friends.  brooke, liam, and mason."

"well, i think that it should continue."  her hands are off my hair so i turn.

"why?"

"cameron, i have to leave."

"what?"