Jess' Christmas

• Dedicat lui Robert Fuller

Merry Christmas!

The fire was crackling and I curled up next to my ma, who was resting on our dusty couch, which was dotted with holes. She had finished the daily house chores and finally got off her feet. My little brothers were stacking sticks quietly in front of us. Peter was three-years-old and James was four-years-old. I was six-years-old and have four older siblings. Francie,  nine-years-old, Carrie is twelve, Frank is fourteen, and Daniel is fifteen.

Frank, and Daniel were out helping pa in the fields. I was workin’ with them, but pa told me to go inside and see if I could help ma, what he really meant was comfort her. This time of year she always seemed a bit sad. Francie told me this was because her parents, my grandparents, died around this time and that ma remembers time with them was always a happy time. Francie told me about Christmas, a day of joy and gift giving, also the celebration of God coming to the world as a little baby. It’s in the Bible, which we read that story every year around this time. Then pray and thank God for everything we have.

Last Christmas was not very cheerful and it was my first Christmas that I was able to participate in and could understand. A week before, a big, freezing storm hit the Texas panhandle, and you know what happened? Well all of pa’s crops just died, I call ‘em his but they ain’t. Pa is working under a boss. This boss is nice, though, is what Pa says, compared to others he’s heard of. This man lets Pa have two days off. He has to work on all other days.  

So, anyways, we were very low on money for that year, but this year we are working on raising the crops, and praying no storm will hit again.

That Christmas Ma, told me that she would still bake a delicious cake with what we had. I still don’t see Christmas as a time to be happy. Ma said we should be thankful that our family is all together and we still have food and clothes on our backs, a roof over our heads, and that Pa still has work.

Tomorrow we get to go into town. We all have to go, I really don’t want to travel in the cold, but I can’t stay home alone and everyone else wants to go. So I have to go out in the freezing cold tomorrow for a pointless trip. Not sure what Ma needs, well I guess we do need a few supplies but there ain’t no reason for us all to go.

“Ma, do I have t’go to town tomorrow?” I questioned her with pleading eyes.

“Why don’t you want to go, Jess? We can all enjoy the ride together and go see what’s going on. We haven’t been there for a long time. Besides your pa may need your help.”

“What about Frank and Daniel? Why do I have t’help?”

“I need some help maintaining your little brothers as I shop.”

I was pretty sure she was thinkin’ up things for me to do so I would have to come.

“But, Ma, it’s cold and I don’t like traveling in the cold.”

“Jess don’t be that way.” She pulled me closer and made circles with her hand on my back. “It’s not that cold. Well, if you want to stay, I can talk to your pa. You’d have to be all alone though, unless someone wants to stay.”

“Can I, Ma? Can I?” I grinned and bounced up, but winced as pain shot up my wrist.

“Jess, what’s the matter?” Ma’s hands instantly took hold of my hands, and she observed the hurting one.

“I think I jammed it on the-” I stopped. Why’d I let that slip.

“What did you do today?” Ma questioned in a calm, stern tone.

“I-uh, fell...fell of the horse.” I replied pulling my hand away and hiding it behind my back.

“Hello! We’re home!” Pa’s voice echoed into the small house, which was pretty much just three rooms joined together.