Chapter One: Best Friends

"Go with the red one. It's super cute."

I knew she was lying. I looked horrible in red. I threw on the black band tee, again, and sighed. She laughed. Morgan and I had been friends since birth. Literally. Our mom's were best friends all through high school, got pregnant damn near to the day and Morgan and I were born in the same hospital two days apart. We were more like sisters than best friends, we knew each others darkest secrets, fought daily, and made-up quickly.

The sun streamed in through my red and black sheer curtains and lit up Morgan's hair. She sat on my window sill curled up reading some Greek tragedy. She loved that kind of stuff. Me? I was more of an Edgar Allen Poe girl myself. I peeked out the window past her, looking at nothing in particular but noting the neighbors dog was in our yard, again. Using our pear tree for a toilet. Again. I sighed.

"Seriously, can't they get a damn hold on their dog? I hate little dogs who think that the world owes them something."

She cracked up, "Jenn, if you were that small, wouldn't you think the world owed you something?"

I looked at her with my most serious face, "I already think that the world owes me something."

She shook her head and looked back down to her book, "I think in a lot of ways, the world owes us all something and owns us all nothing."

I laughed, "that's deep. From your book?"

She threw a pillow at me, that I caught.

We were close. Some might say a little too close, rumors actually sparked in our school that we were a thing because we were always together. We kissed a few times in public just to give them a run for their money and toss a wrench in their rumors but we both had okayish boyfriends who went to different schools. The guys at our school were too lame and let's face it, thought we were too busy dating each other to give them the time of day. Serves the losers right.

"When was the last time you washed that? Or did that lame ass band do it before they sold it to you?"

"Screw you, Morgan. That was a good show. And I'll get around to washing it one day."

The shirt really was starting to stink. It still smelled of the beer that was spilled on me in the mosh pit and the stale cigarettes that I chain-smoked that night. Still, it was a pretty cool shirt. The smells gave it character. Kind of like me.

Morgan laughed and tossed her gorgeous black curls. God, I envied her. She was a remarkable girl. Stunningly pretty. Sweet as a Twinkie. Thin, but had killer curves. And Ivy League student smart. She was an all-around perfect catch. I often wondered when we were kids why she was friends with me. I mean, if our moms weren't "besties", would she have ever stuck by my side as closely as she did? The thought of losing her scared the hell out of me.

When we were growing up she made friends here and there, but always made sure that I was included for every game, party, sleepover, sporting event, you name it, I was in as long as I was with her. But my introverted punk rock self started to shun the assholes at our school and she started to as well in order to protect me. I was selfish. I will certainly be the first to admit that, but Morgan was mine, and I was not about to let anyone, male or female come between us. I loved her too much.

"Ready to go?"

I grabbed my bag and nodded her way, "what time does the movie start?"

"Um... 4:20?"

"Is that a question or are you leading to something?"
She laughed again. Her perfect laugh. I smiled.

"Let's roll, sister. I want to grab a burger or something before we get there anyway. Movie theater nachos do not sound the least bit appealing." She grabbed my hand and we headed out the door.

...

Dedicated to @HorrendousSQUADand everyone who's apart of our family :) I also dedicate this to my horror fans and readers who pushed me to write a new story hehe. Story is completed! Will upload daily, 1 or 2 so I'll be able to rank more :) Enjoy!